585,938 active members*
3,188 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > General Off Topic Discussions > Need help regarding re-grinding business

Need help regarding re-grinding business

Hello everyone,

I just registered on this website in hopes of learning more about the CNC world. I hope this is the right section of the forum for my inquiry.

I recently joined a small family business that specializes in re-grinding of circular sawblades, endmills and other types of cutting tools. I am new to the industry and am trying to learn as much as possible.

On my initial observations, I noticed that a lot of processes within the company are manual. I was wondering if someone could guide me in what technologies are available in order to make our processes a bit more efficient (measuring dimensions of grinding wheels and sharpened end mills etc). I read something about presetters and inspection tools but am a bit confused what would be the best choice. Would a Zoller be an overkill? What would be some alternatives available?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Need help regarding re-grinding business

I can tell you that the company that sharpens our tooling uses a $500K machine, and I believe it's a fully automated process.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Need help regarding re-grinding business

Thank you for the reply. We do have one CNC machine but it is currently being underused. We are actively working in reducing our downtime on that side. I was wondering more on the inspection side of things. What machines would you guys recommend to inspect dimensions of our re-grinded tools and grinding wheels. That is the part that I find is being done manually and I am not very comfortable with, especially when we are dealing with milimeters. I looked up Zoller and Speroni machines and they seem interesting. I don't know if anyone had any experiences with them or would be able to suggest me other companies to reach out to. Thank you in advance.