585,705 active members*
4,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > imported a .stl into V30 cant seem to do much with it at all.....

imported a .stl into V30 cant seem to do much with it at all.....

like the title says, ive imported a customer supplied .stl file into V30 of BobCAD. i can look at the part, and manupulate the views, but that seems to be about it. am i missing something?

id like to start by un-stitching the solid. also, the scale of the part is WAY off, and not by any typical conversion value that i can figure out.. anyone have any insight on this?

Re: imported a .stl into V30 cant seem to do much with it at all.....

An stl file is a Mesh file and in BobCAD you can not edit/modify/toolpath that type of file, you will need to find an online (free) software that will convert the stl file to say a step or iges file, those you can work with in BobCAD.

As for scale, it may just be the original file is Metric and you are set to Inches or vice versa, either multiply one by 25.4 or in the opposite divide the other by 25.4 etc, etc, if that doesn`t work then you will have to find the exact difference and then after you get your step/iges file scale it to the correct size.

Regards
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    An stl file is a Mesh file and in BobCAD you can not edit/modify/toolpath that type of file, you will need to find an online (free) software that will convert the stl file to say a step or iges file, those you can work with in BobCAD.

As for scale, it may just be the original file is Metric and you are set to Inches or vice versa, either multiply one by 25.4 or in the opposite divide the other by 25.4 etc, etc, if that doesn`t work then you will have to find the exact difference and then after you get your step/iges file scale it to the correct size.

Regards
    Rob
    You can toolpath them. No "edges or curves" but surface based toolpaths for sure.

Bobart can deal with them too.

But the question seemed to be modifying the model. Which bobcad doesnt do.

thank you both very much for your replies, i put the customers model into inventor and then exported it as a .iges and im off to the races.

i figured this out yesterday afternoon but couldnt figure out how to delete this thread afterwards.....

the scaling issue was resolved with the file type conversion as well. it was not a metric to english issue or anything like that, it was just randomly scaled wrong....

I'm having the same issue with an STL file that a customer sent me. How did you convert the STl file to an .iges file in order to edit it?

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    You can toolpath them. No "edges or curves" but surface based toolpaths for sure.

Bobart can deal with them too.

But the question seemed to be modifying the model. Which bobcad doesnt do.
    Cn't add anything constructive to the conversation,but HI BURR

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Cn't add anything constructive to the conversation,but HI BURR
    Hi Jr!!

Hope all's going well!

Quote Originally Posted by robertking3 View Post
    I'm having the same issue with an STL file that a customer sent me. How did you convert the STl file to an .iges file in order to edit it?
    autodesk inventor, and if you dont have access to that, fusion360, freeCAD, Solidworks, AutoConverter, CADexchanger. the google machine says any of those can do the conversion.