585,982 active members*
4,669 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller & Computer Solutions > Replacement Motion and Motor Controller - Options Buildbotics/PoKeys57CNC/PlanetCNC

Replacement Motion and Motor Controller - Options Buildbotics/PoKeys57CNC/PlanetCNC

Looking at upgrading an older Probotix V90 and find it is time to upgrade the electronics, keeping the Yellow HT23-280-8 280Oz steppers.

After doing some research, I found three options.

The first is using the Planet-CNC Mk3/4 controller with the enclosure. This looks good, but the controller is not optimal for the motors (underpowered), and upgrading to a larger 6.0A driver is not an option in that case style.

The next option was the Buildbotics controller. This seems to have everything I need in one package, with the added benefit of being able to connect to the unit over Ethernet and download the cut file to the controller, freeing up the computer for other tasks. I like this, but am concerned if I ever damage any of the output channels there is no economical way to fix - since all channels are on the one main control board.

The last unit that I like is the PoKeys57CNC - this looks like a well-defined solution. Where I am lost is which stepper driver to match up with it. The PoStep60-256 looks nice, small, and good recommendations. The other stepper drivers that I like are units like the DMA806H/MZ860H (the larger black-box controllers) - these look more industrial - but I suspect dated in age. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to using the 860 series as opposed to the PoStep60-256?

Looking for any feedback on the Buildbotics vs. the PoKeys57CNC product - or suggestions on other solutions to look at.

Thanks.

Re: Replacement Motion and Motor Controller - Options Buildbotics/PoKeys57CNC/PlanetC

If you have any questions regarding the Buildbotics CNC Controller, I'd be happy to answer them.

Re: Replacement Motion and Motor Controller - Options Buildbotics/PoKeys57CNC/PlanetC

Hi,
    I use and like an Ethernet SmoothStepper by Warp9TD and Mach4 by New Fangled Solutions.

Another controller that is comparable to the 57CNC are the various UC series of controllers by CNCDrive.

I have always used Vexta steppers and drivers and have been very happy with them but for my new build mill I have three
    750W B2 series Delta servos/drives/cables.....they absolutely eat any stepper ever made!

Craig