584,850 active members*
4,335 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Can you recommend 5 axis controller board?

Can you recommend 5 axis controller board?

Hello everybody

With suggestions from forum members i have changed a few things and this is what I have so far:

• 4 CPM-SDSK-2310S-RLN ClearPath Integrated Servo Motor 4 NEMA 23
    • 350/500 Watt DC Power Supply Output: 75 VDC - 350W / 500W(fan-cooled) cont; Input: 108-250 VAC
    • Y-axis 1500 mm rail and 2010 ball screw with double nut
    • Y-axis 1500 mm rail and 2010 ball screw with double nut
    • X-axis 1000 mm rail and 2010 ball screw with double nut
    • Z-axis 400 mm rail and 1605 ball screw with double nut

• 2 pcs Hiwin rails HG20-400mm with 4pcs HGH20CA bearing blocks
    • 2 pcs Hiwin rails HG20-1000mm with 4pcs HGH20CA bearing blocks
    • 2 pcs Hiwin rails HG20-1500mm with 4pcs HGH20CA bearing blocks
    • 2.2 Water cooled spindle
    The rails and ball screws are Chinese made. (ebay)

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO DO IN THE NEAR FUTURE:

• add MPG
    • add rotary axis

So this is what I'm not sure about:

So at first, I wanted to go with Acorn board, I really liked their interface and looks like good support, however, only 4 axes, did not want to pair two y-axes together.
    My understanding is, with servos, I do not need the drivers, only 5 axis BOB

I feel lost here. What 5 axis bob should I go with? I'm looking for something that a lot of people use so if I run into the problem I can possibly find the solution from others.

Electronics is not one of the things I know much about, so if you have any suggestions please share.
    Forgot to mention, i think I'm going with the MACH4, it seems like a lot of people are using it.

Thank you very much

Please excuse me, English is my second language

Darko

Re: Can you recommend 5 axis controller board?

Take a look at RosettaCNC: https://rosettacnc.com/en/
    Here some manuals (we are updating doc so some link could be broken): https://wiki.rosettacnc.com/doku.php/en/manuali_d_uso
    6 axis board has also RTCP.

Finding a board is quite easy.The real challenge is getting a 5 axis post processor that doesn't cost telephone numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    Finding a board is quite easy.The real challenge is getting a 5 axis post processor that doesn't cost telephone numbers.
    Depends by 5 axis kinematics.
    If the kinematics is a classic Head/Head or Table/Table the post-processor is simple to do. In a lot of CAM's the math is already made and you need only to configure the pivot points.
    If the kinematics is more complex, as well as a Nut table or a more complex master/slave angled axesm, it is necessary to add necessary math in the post and that will take some time.

Hi,
    I use mach4 and have done for seven years, and to my thinking is a good choice.

There are a number of external motion controllers, but the one I use is an Ethernet SmoothStepper (ESS) by Warp9TD. They cost about $180USD.
    You need to add a breakout board or boards depending on how much IO you want. Simple bi-directional boards like a C10 are $23 each, with 17 IOs per board,
    and thus you could use as many as three to populate all 51 IOs from the ESS. Another possibility is a MB3 by CNCRoom at $180. It has all 51 IO developed,
    the Step/Dir outputs are 5V differential, just right for high speed servo signals, and the remaining IOs a balance of inputs and outputs. All-in-all its a pretty well thought
    out, quality board.

I have just commissioned my new build mill, a three axis machine with three 750W Delta servos. Rather than recycle my existing bi-directional breakout boards (5V tolerant)
    I made my own breakout boards which are 24V tolerant, just right for industrial servos like mine. The Step/Dir outputs (10, so 5 pairs for up to 5 axis) are 5V differential.
    I have posted on the Warp9TD forum the design process and will post the circuit board details should anyone want to make a set for themselves.

Craig

When you work with 5 axis RTCP feature is a must, so search a CNC board which support RTCP.

If I could afford it.......
    https://cncroom.com/en/product/uc300eth-max/

Hi dapzp1976,
    do you really have need for 85 IOs that the UC300/UB1/UD1 combination provide?

The UC300/UB1 combination is $319, so a $100 saving over your 'dream combo' and still has over 50 IOs......isn't 50 enough?

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi dapzp1976,
    do you really have need for 85 IOs that the UC300/UB1/UD1 combination provide?

The UC300/UB1 combination is $319, so a $100 saving over your 'dream combo' and still has over 50 IOs......isn't 50 enough?

Craig
    True. I guess you could just use seperate terminal blocks and isolator boards in place of a UD1 at around 1/4 the cost. Easy enough to impliment wiring in and may not even need terminal blocks, wire direct from isolator (5v out) to uc300 ports using dupont or RC vehicle servo type connectors.
    Not as tidy but likely only need the input pins in use.

Probarbly not needed right now. (maybe never).

I have actually settled for a uc300eth and ucbb instead though with uccnc thrown in (on offer).
    If I go full servo on all axis I may need more for the encoders and faults etc.
    I already have a servo for a spindle upgrade running off the analog port perfectly when bench testing through Mach3.
    In terms of ucbb inputs, 4-in for encoder 6-in for faults. Leaving 8 for standard estop, limits & tool set.
    Apparently the ucbb can take incrimental type encoders into it directly from the servo drives (not tried yet
    I have installed 6 stepper drives for possible 5 axis + tool change which has filled the 16 outputs. (optomistic!)
    I'm still wiring it all up atm.

I could always use my isolator module boards to daisy chain some signals. This will condense the number of inputs needed to the controller down I suppose.

Some simple Bi-directional boards are out of the question as a UK user. Would have to import them. The UD1 would come out cheaper in this case.