585,927 active members*
3,369 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TNG vs CNCUSBController

What are the differences between them please? I have CNBUSBController working with MK2/4 but TNG does not seem to find the controller.

Re: TNG vs CNCUSBController

Cncusbcontroller is old ver software. It can use for all mk1-mk3 board.
    TNG is new ver software. It only use for mk3/4,mk3/9 board if you upgrade firmware.

So I need to upgrade firmware on my controller for TNG to work? Can you guide me please?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonwalker View Post
    So I need to upgrade firmware on my controller for TNG to work? Can you guide me please?
    See this link:
    https://planet-cnc.com/how-can-i-update-firmware/

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Do not solve by updating the firmware; if something hasn't changed recently, the TNG software is only compatible with the MK3 series controllers.
    The MK2 controller only works with CNCUSB software (which is excellent software).

@schesby - Thanks did not find that page before.

@mar_cone - So TNG does not work with my controller Are there any improvements in updating fw or better leave it as it is?
    I 've been using CNCUsb for years now and can't complain at all, but it is no longer supported now. So it's a pity that TNG is not compatible with my controller since when I bought it they assured me that the MK2/4 controller was more than enough for my machine.
    Last edited by Moonwalker; 03-17-2020 at 12:52 AM.

Normally it is preferable (sometimes mandatory) that the latest version of the firmware is also installed with the latest version of software ... I think this is also the case for CNCUSB / MK2; maybe Planet CNC can confirm or deny what I wrote (maybe you already have the latest firmware installed and you don't know it).
    Having no MK2 I can't tell you what improvements there are with the latest firmware but if your controller has so far always gone well for your machine and you have no needs other than what it offers you go on like this ... for example I bought MK3 / 9 only because I needed a controller with LAN connection, otherwise I would have purchased a MK2 too (at the time MK3 / 4 was not yet available).

Each software version works only with one firmware version. Software checks if connected controller has correct firmware version. If firmware version is incorrect you will get "update firmware" warning.

responsive and precise as always

@PlanetCNC - Thanks. So what improvements are there on TNG vs CncUsbController?

Customization of functions / automation and interface through scripts, various G codes implemented (also for lathe), improved management of movements, measurements and ... much more; it is better to download the manual and read it. Consider that TNG is a constantly developing software and Planet CNC is very attentive to the needs and advice of its users.