I have been doing conversions and full builds of systems for a while now and I am always running into the same problem. Most of my designs are based on smart controllers like the Ethernet Smooth Stepper or the Pokeys boards. What I have found is that there are several good Break Out Boards (BOBs) available but none are very sophisticated and they are all very dumb.

Most of the systems I use are Windows and Mach based. This combination is common among hobby users but when you want to add tool changers, add control consoles, or do anything more complex the BOB becomes a limiting factor.

What I want is a BOB that has an onboard Micro-controller, some communications ports (Modbus, RS-485 and RS-422) and some intelligence between the pins of the 25 pin parallel ports and the outputs. Things that would be helpful in a BOB:

• Communications ports.
  • Onboard Micro-Controller(s).
  • Serial LCD display port.
  • Control panel/Pendant connection without 25 fricking wires.
  • A single power supply for everything (12 Volts preferred).
  • Multiple built in E-Stop ports.
  • Motor control for a mix of steppers and ClearPath servo's (use the right connectors).
  • Detection circuit for disconnected cables.
  • All external connections use Shielded CAT-5/6 cables for easy connections.
  • Properly ground ALL I/O.
  • Some high power DC outputs to directly drive solenoids, relays, coolant pump, disconnects...
  • Modbus or direct control of VFD/BLDC controller.
  • Circuit for Axis error feedback.
  • Simplify wiring. 1 Shielded Cat 5 for all limit switches, 1 for probing, 1 for spindle encoder.
  • Easily programmable.

I am interested in finding out if anyone else is interested in this? I have the first version of the board complete where all the circuits have been tested and the software is complete.