584,830 active members*
5,557 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Bridgeport TorqCut 22 Rebuild

So i bought a Bridgeport Torq Cut 22. I got it from Marty on here (martyscncgarage). His intention was always to convert it to Centroid OAK but then he went and found an atrump machine with centroid already on it. To cut a long story short we worked out a deal then i had to figure out how to get the machine 1800miles from Arizona to Georgia. That was a real fun exercise! lets just say i have a greater respect for logistics planners and riggers after the whole affair.

I'm not sure if you guys are interested but my plan is to pretty much disassemble the whole machine, clean it up repaint the enclosure repair and rebuild all the major components, put it all back together make sure it still works then convert to centroid oak later down the line.

I'm already knees deep into the disassembly and cleanup of the machine if anyone is interested i can start posting some pictures up.

i made a couple of videos and stuck them on the you tube if anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/YeFj_jI9GKQ

https://youtu.be/dOCEvxW-zZo

Re: Bridgeport TorqCut 22 Rebuild

Here is a link to my google image library. I'm pretty stuck into the machine, my videos are somewhat trailing the actual progress but the pictures are mostly up to date.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YFj6Qi4Xu5ap6W6r7

Hey AshG if you ever need any parts / technical diag help check this place out https://bptparts.com/collections/tc2...-torq-cut-vmcs

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeportNewbie View Post
    Hey AshG if you ever need any parts / technical diag help check this place out https://bptparts.com/collections/tc2...-torq-cut-vmcs
    Cool thanks I had a look on there, lots of goodies will probably need to order some parts at some point, looking at some of the prices hopefully I dont need nothing major, I may have to keep an ear to the ground for some used parts if it's a high dollar item, I only paid 5k for the whole machine it's a spare time hobby project so I don't have a huge budget like an engineering company.

Here is a link to my youtube playlist on my TC 22

If I can be of assistance just ask

+1 on the BPT Parts recommendation. They've always had everything I need to keep my TC30 running.

https://bptparts.com

One thing I can recommend is that you change the wipers on the metal telescoping way covers. Chips and fines like to build up in the saddle of the Y-axis and plug the drain hole in the casting flooding and submerging the Y-axis rear bearing if you don't keep an eye on it every couple of years.

AshG, I just looked through your photos. You've been busy! That oil that came out of your gearbox looked a little cooked.

I will check my diagrams. I'm fairly certain I have a gearbox diagram that came with my TC-3. Give me a day or two.

I'm glad Marty's machine went to a good home. Are you planning on keeping the DX-32 control?

Quote Originally Posted by jmullett View Post
    +1 on the BPT Parts recommendation. They've always had everything I need to keep my TC30 running.

https://bptparts.com

One thing I can recommend is that you change the wipers on the metal telescoping way covers. Chips and fines like to build up in the saddle of the Y-axis and plug the drain hole in the casting flooding and submerging the Y-axis rear bearing if you don't keep an eye on it every couple of years.
    Yeah those drains under the y drive were packed solid couldn't believe how much junk was stuffed in there. Marty gave me a set of brand new y way cover seals, the old ones were rock hard and disintegrated to pieces. He also included a whole spare cat40 tool changer/tool holder the one on the machine is a bt40, I'm toying with running half & half then I can run any tooling ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Watkins View Post
    Here is a link to my youtube playlist on my TC 22 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_bw...3SVlZ_uCYnFPPO

If I can be of assistance just ask
    Haha I have watched all your videos already steve ;-) they helped me so thank you for taking the time to make them. there isn't tons of content out there for these machines but i have pretty much scraped the i internet for everything i can find so far :-)

I'm taking photos and trying g to film what I can as I go along in the hope it helps the next guy.

Quote Originally Posted by AshG View Post
    Haha I have watched all your videos already steve ;-) they helped me so thank you for taking the time to make them. there isn't tons of content out there for these machines but i have pretty much scraped the i internet for everything i can find so far :-)

I'm taking photos and trying g to film what I can as I go along in the hope it helps the next guy.
    Glad to help,, We all have to help each other !

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    AshG, I just looked through your photos. You've been busy! That oil that came out of your gearbox looked a little cooked.

I will check my diagrams. I'm fairly certain I have a gearbox diagram that came with my TC-3. Give me a day or two.

I'm glad Marty's machine went to a good home. Are you planning on keeping the DX-32 control?
    4lo hooked me up on the gearbox, no diagram but he was really helpful and wrote me an email explaining how he rebuilt his. I have it apart and cleaned up. I am just figuring out what parts I need to replace. At the moment this is still a hobby for me so I cant justify chucking loads of money at the machine like I would if it broke down and I needed it to get production stuff out the door.

The oil was like sticky tar, it gummed the whole thing up, it was a job to even turn the top gear plate by hand until I degreased it. I bet a bunch of guys with fussy gear changes this is the main cause, I rebuilt the rotary actuator and it helped but it didn't completely cure it.

I went with the torq cut as I have outgrew my knee mill that I cnc retrofitted with centroid and I really wanted something bigger and enclosed. I got it for a really good price from marty and figured it doesn't matter if it takes me a bit of time to fix it up.

My plan is to get it all running as good as possible on the dx32 control to prove the machine then do the centroid oak/dmm ac servo upgrade later in the year. I have all the parts to do it packaged in with the machine from marty.

There will be plenty of dx32 parts, axis motors, drives, pc, control boards etc coming off at some point, I won't throw them out i promise :-) ideally I'd like to sell/swap/trade/share with the TC community to keep as many machines going as possible.

I dug up the only gearbox drawing I received a few years back from drisson/bptparts. It's all I have but better than nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tranny1.jpg   Tranny2.jpg   Tranny3.jpg   Tranny6.jpg  

I'm in a similar situation. I bought a Torq Cut 22 with DX32 controls. I've spent 2 years looking for a 4th axis but can't find anything.

With this year's tax return I should have enough saved up to finally buy the kit and get this mill up and running.
    Bridgeport TC-22, Landis 1-1/2, RF-45

thanks forhire. i got it broken down on the bench. now in the process of ordering new gears and bearings for it.

Quote Originally Posted by WHITEHORZE View Post
    I'm in a similar situation. I bought a Torq Cut 22 with DX32 controls. I've spent 2 years looking for a 4th axis but can't find anything.

With this year's tax return I should have enough saved up to finally buy the kit and get this mill up and running.
    I am using a Haas indexer with mine. The M51 command sends the signal to the cannon plug on the RT Rear of the machine. This will only do 3+1 machining.

Quote Originally Posted by WHITEHORZE View Post

Hey Whitehorze. I saw the video of your machine on youtube whats holding you back from getting yours running?

I got the spindle motor bearings changed and all pretty much assembled and put back together this weekend. All im waiting on now is bearings for the motor fan.

I also ordered a whole set of new gears for the gearbox. Figured its apart so screw it, may as well do everything, not cheap at $1000 for a set of 7 but then its done for a very long time.

I also ordered new thrust bearings for the ball screw ends hopefully that will quiet it down on the x axis, Had to go with a Chinese supplier that Zane put me onto and had good luck with. I just cant afford $400 a bearing x5, they say they are genuine surplus NOS INA ZKLF 2575 2RS but i'm very suspicious considering i only paid $65 a piece lol. If they are not genuine hopefully they are better than worn old noisy bearings, fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by cooperjm View Post
    I am using a Haas indexer with mine. The M51 command sends the signal to the cannon plug on the RT Rear of the machine. This will only do 3+1 machining.
    Do you by chance have the pin out you used to hookup your Haas indexer? I started hooking mine up a while ago but never could sort the connection on the TC plug. I assume your using the one on the inside near the lamp?

I am using the connector on the right rear of the machine. That is where the schematic led me to..

If you look at the schematic at the bottom of the AUF Card you will see HAAS Option. That is the connections I used.

The plug I used is MS3102A18-1S(C).

Let me know if you need more.

Attachment 439818

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200403_102825.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	439820

bearings showed up. they seem like they are reasonable quality, will only know for sure once they are in the machine.

Page 1 of 2 12