585,992 active members*
6,351 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Excello Mill

Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by usfwalden View Post
    How are these pwm drives on the spindle motor?
    If you are using a 3ph induction motor, you are pretty much restricted to a VFD.
    PWM are used mainly with PM DC/AC/BLDC, with feedback.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The rep called it both for some reason. It's listed as a vfd on their website. http://www.weglibrary.com/pdf/cfw10.01.07.pdf

Technically a VFD can use both PWM and variable frequency in the form of a pseudo sine wave that can in some drives be able to vary amplitude, frequency and energy content by means of PWM.
    But in a general sense, these are refered to as VFD's , whereas PWM servo drives mainly use constant amplitude and frequency.
    There is AC servo drives which also perform in a similar fashion, but both are designed with different type of motor construction in mind.
    Al.

Albert E.

motion industries wanted to violate me in bad places for that 2322v364 but I looked online and got it for $45 from JayDee Enterprises http://www.jdv-belts.com/

Do you know what the #'s on the belts stand for? I have the 2hp motor and the belt I just pulled out is a 1922v332.

I found a pdf on the jdv-belts.com website that gave some explantion of the numbering system along with the #'s they cary.
    http://www.jdv-belts.com/imagesjd/VA...%20V-BELTS.pdf

It says the fist two numbers are the top width of the pulley groove in the closed position in 1/16th's of an inch. The width of the groove in both/either the motor pulley and/or the spindle pulley when fully closed is 19 1/16th's of an inch. So the correct belt should definitely start with a 19.

It says the next two digits is the groove angle. I used an angle finder and verified that to be 22 degrees. So the correct belt should start with a 1922v with v being the designation of a varispeed belt.

The remaining numbers are the belt pitch length in 1/10th's of an inch. My pulleys are 7.5" diameter. So I figure the pulley closed pulley has a circumference of 23.56". The fulley open pulley has an effective diameter of 3.75 and thus a circumference of 11.78". Take half the circumference of each for the curves of the oval and that's 17.67". Mesuring from the center of the draw bar hole and the motor bolt holes on the varispeed housing I estimate the pulleys centers are 8.25" apart so the 17.67" for the curves of the oval plus 16.5" for the flat sides of the oval gives me an estimated belt diameter of 34.17. That would be the outside circumference of the belt and If belt length is measured at its centerline then the belt that was in it would be right on (1922v332); if belt legth is measured as it's inside circumference then the 1922v321 # that Al has for the 1.5hp motor would be the correct belt for the 2hp as well.

Al, where did you get that 1922v321 # from?

I found a pdf from gates explaining the many ways belt legth is measured including pitch length which is what the pdf on the varispeed belt said is used.
    http://www.gates.com/facts/documents/Gf000204.pdf

From that it looks like the 1922v332 is probably the correct belt. Still the 1922v332 and 1922v321 are very close. It seems to me the 1922v321 might have been used to give a little more safety margin for keeping the belt tight.

From the pictures I saw of another 602 on here it looks like my varispeed housing is a little different. Anyway, I decided to order a 1922v332. After I install it I'll post again to verify that it fits well for anyone else who may come along with a spindle wizard.

The 1922v332 fits well and seems to be the correct belt for a spindle wizard.

Correct belt size for 602

FYI,
    I just ordered a couple parts for my excello 602 from the OEM parts supplier for Excello. While on the phone, I asked about the correct belt size for this machine. The 1922v321 is the correct size for the 602.

Thanks,
    Jeff

On a related note Excello changed their spec for the Gear box oil on the 602 to Automotive Transmission Fluid.
    Al.

Albert E.

Just to update on what I did with my machine. I ended up going with a dspmc/ip control connected to my laptop via ethernet on which I run mach 3. I ended up not using the spindle wizard m function and amp boards and instead used an opto22 board with grayhill modules for io between the dspmc and the terminal strips in the relay cabinet. Basically there was a terminal for a 24v signal for each m code so there was no reason to deal with the binary codes.

I went with a-m-c 30a8 amps.

Ex-cell-o 605 CNC - Can the head be tilted by 45?

Hey everyone.

I'm set on picking up an Ex-cell-o 605 CNC machine this weekend. The controller is gone, but all the motors, wiring, tachs, encoders, and limit switches are intact - thank god I don't have to try to decide whether to grin and bear using an older controller! Now I know I have to buy a modern system ;-)

I'm trying to determine a few things that perhaps the owner appears to not know about. Could anyone help?

1. Can the head be tilted 45 degrees? If it's based on the 602, I would think yes, but the owner may have stated that this machine uses a solid head. If I were able to find a 605 manual out there in the digital wilderness, I would have answered this for myself by now. I'm putting this in my garage and would rather avoid having to disassemble the head. I believe I may only need to remove the motor to shorten it enough, but tilting it would give me the 4 or 5 inches I desparately need.

2. Likewise, I'd like to know the manufacturer of the Nema 42 servos, and whether these big guys have encoders (shouldn't they??) and what their resolution is. I know they're E727, 29lb-ft, 2700 rpm max, but searches have turned up little in the way of a manufacturer's name.

That's it for the moment.

Torin...

You should be able to tell just by looking at the spindle head, on the 602 the head could be swung through 45 either side, tilt forward and back and also the ram head can be cranked out across the table.
    If it is not a ram head machine like a 602, then it probably does not tilt.
    But usually the head is locked up when using CNC.
    Get the seller to measure the height after removing the spindle motor.
    Usually SEM or Reliance/ElectroCraft DC servo motors were used.
    Depending on what the Controller manuf. was?
    If they are steppers they won't have encoders.
    Al.

Albert E.

Mine had resolvers and tachometers but it might be different than yours because mine is a spindle-wizard. I'm happy with the performance I'm getting from the endoders I switched to but if I were to do it again with what I know now I would stick with the resolvers and tachometers. Instead of spending the money on changing the feedback I'd spend the money on nice a-m-c digital drives that take ac power so you don't even have to worry about a power supply. You could also get resolver to quadrature converter cards from pico systems if you wanted to use analog amps.

Possibly ElectroCraft

ElectroCraft seems to ring a bell, but I tried both ElectroCraft and Reliance with the code E727 and came across a Reliance E727 reference in an unrelated search of other types of electromechanical systems. I then checked Reliance's website (now Baldor) for legacy motor data but couldn't match the model numbers.

In another thread, "Al_the_man", you suggested you had some detailed specs on these motors. Is it easily available in electronic form or must you go dig it up (as in opening up a book)?

More or less, I want to find a good matching drive that takes as much advantage of the voltage capability as possible (for the fastest jogging possible). I have a source on these AMC PWM Servo Drives:

http://www.a-m-c.com/download/datasheet/30a8.pdf

these also support the tachometers on the drives. This interface however is now different than the step/dir I'm used to. I have yet to find a controller that supports -/+10V speed control rather than the usual step-dir type (e.g. Gecko). I would have used Geckos, but they don't support the current for these servos. These drives however only go up to 80VDC which is only 2/3 of the drive's top rated speed.

Anyone out there have a 605 with a manual? Is it really a 602, or is it a fixed head without the ram?

I use the dspmc/ip controller with the amc 30a8 amps. I replaced my tachometers with us digital encoders with indexes. It cost me as much in machine work before even including the cost of the encoders as the pico systems converter boards cost. The tachometer without resolver isn't good enough.

I just found e727 for sale on ebay - seller says it was x axis on HURCO machine..... maybe if there is a Hurco group on cnczone u shud post over there for motor spec too??

It's been a long time...

Hey guys,

It has been a long time. Just over two years since I picked each of your brains. I wanted to let you know that all of your help was not forgotten. I've since completed rebuilding that machine and have been using it very happily for some time now. It turned out to be an amazing machine. I'm now building a 4th axis for it, and eventually, a 5th.

If you ever get this, I've posted a pic under the project section - not much to look at, but I'm adding new projects as I go along. I expect in another year this will be full of great little projects.

Thank you, guys. Very much.

Walker Technologies, Inc. | Control Your World

Torin...

Page 2 of 2 12