585,954 active members*
4,579 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Excello Mill

Page 1 of 2 12

Excello Mill

Hello, Im new to this stuff. I have a older excello Mill, how much play in the crank is to much? And where can i get a new screw and nut? Not shure if these are proper names but if not let me know I want to learn, thanks
    Dan

What model 602? I assume you mean the knee crank?
    The last time I obtained parts, it was Ex-cell-o Machine tools
    6015 Center Drive, Sterling Heights MI
    810-722-1043
    fax 810-977-6283
    [email protected].
    I have the 602 manual in PDF if you need it.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

If you could send me this PDF that would be much Appreciated!

Send me a PM with an address to email.
    Al.

Albert E.

years ago there was a guy in Toronto who had bought out their old parts stock. once upon a time i knew how to get in touch,but no longer. i mention it though because you might be able to network with used machinery dealers to track him down.

what you need isn't anything proprietary. I replaced my x/y nuts and the y screw. bought the nuts from above mentioned dude just because it was cheaper/easier that buying the bronze, making or buying the acme tap etc and made my own screw. fortunately the long one was in good condition.

although it wouldn't be cheap (but neither will buying from excello), you could easily have the nuts and ground hardened screws made.

thanks for the info, I will check into it.

thanks for the info, and thanks Al for the PDF of the Exello mill, that is perfect!

I just got an Ex-Cell-O spindle wizard myself. It's a 602. That manual could do me a lot of good

Also, I'm investigating retaining the motors and the power supply and drives in the bandit control and using pixie boards to interface them with pc control. I've hit a hurdle of not knowing what the pins are on the drive cards for the connections that currently go to the bandit motor logic card. The wiring between the drives and motors is intuitive. The wiring from the motors I'll need to move over to the pixies seems intiutive enough as well. But I'm not sure how to figure out what the inputs on the drive cards are so I can hook them up to the pixies. All 3 cards share a 16 pin ribon cable with 4 pins common to all cards, 4 pins unique to each card, and the unique pins from the other cards removed on each card's connector. Does anyone have any suggestions on where/how I can find out the pin in on the summit dana bandit drive cards?

Thank you,
    Michael

have you tried excello? afaik they're still in business, owned by MAG. may have to do some sweet talking as they haven't made those in a long time but that info's probably sitting in a dusty file cabinet somewhere
    http://www.ex-cell-o.com/

I've dug into doing the retrofit on my machine and have learned much more about it. It seems the machine casting and spindle drive are the only standard 602 pieces on it. The bigger knee, huge tubular ways, big table, and all the motion controls are Spindle Wizard upgrades though I'm sure they had Ex-Cell-O manufacture the machine pieces.

I noticed you wanted a manual too, did I send you one?
    If not send me an email add by PM.
    Al.

Albert E.

Yes you did, thank you. It will still be very helpful for the spindle drive information. I'm actually about to use the belt changing directions now. Too bad the only info it gives on the belt is "varispeed belt." I'd make a run out to motion industries before taking it apart if I knew what belt to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I noticed you wanted a manual too, did I send you one?
    If not send me an email add by PM.
    Al.

The one I took off when I changed over to timing belt was Pirelli Varisect 2322V364, This is for the 2HP, I believe the 1.5HP was a different belt.
    Al.
    I found the 1.5hp it is 1922V321 Belt, I think Goodyear use the same numbers

Albert E.

Good man, ya mine is 2hp. What did you do to your spindle drive?

The one I took off when I changed over to timing belt was Pirelli Varisect 2322V364, This is for the 2HP, I believe the 1.5HP was a different belt.
    Al.
    I found the 1.5hp it is 1922V321 Belt, I think Goodyear use the same numbers

I converted to a Mitsubishi VFD see post #12
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...light=acroloop
    The pulleys were 1:1 this made the motor 1:1 to the spindle in high gear, I use the low gear for the low speed, this avoids running the VFD too low a frequency, I go up to 120Hz, which gives 2x rpm for the 4 pole motor.
    Al.

Albert E.

No problems with the vfd in your control cabinet? I'm installing a weg cfw10 easy drive which takes a single phase 230 input and outputs 3 phase 0-300hz to drive the motor. I'm going to mount it on an aluminum bracket hanging where the power switch for the original motor is and mount a tyco corcom 20emc1 line filter on the back side of the same bracket.

Being a Spindle Wizard this mill has the Spindle Wizard control for the backgear, varispeed, spindle motor, tool changer, and coolant. I figured out how to interface with it yesterday so I want to keep all that despite having the vfd. I shared a bunch of pictures and info on it in my show in tell thread in the mach suppor forum: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind...c,3990.20.html

I converted to a Mitsubishi VFD see post #12
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...light=acroloop
    The pulleys were 1:1 this made the motor 1:1 to the spindle in high gear, I use the low gear for the low speed, this avoids running the VFD too low a frequency, I go up to 120Hz, which gives 2x rpm for the 4 pole motor.
    Al.

I have never had a problem with VFD's in control cabinets, Using a common ground plate to reference all shields and power supplies eliminates many problems, the most I have had in one enclosure is 3 VFD's as well as the servo amps.
    Looking over the link you posted, I am not completely sure how you intend to interface to the stand-alone Galil you mention? Are you using Mach?
    In my case, the PC and Galil was in the Operator Panel.
    I have two excello's, one is a Galil based and the other Acroloop.
    Al.

Albert E.

The control I'm using is a Galil 2160. The interface between the laptop and the galil is ethernet. I'm going to run mach mill with the galil plugin on the laptop(mach has a plugin to make it work with galil controllers).I am also going to use a QSI G55 handheld terminal for simple stuff which will also interface to the galil through ethernet.

If you meant between the galil control and the spindle wizard control (for the back gear, varispeed, spindle motor, drawbar, and coolant control) then the spindle wizard control just needs parrallel binary input of the m code so I just need to be able to control 7 i/o lines on the galil to be able to send m codes to the spindle wizard control. I haven't read through programming the galil yet but I assume it's easy enough to program it to hold certain io pins high or low when sent a particular command.

You can check out the Galil OP (output port) command if you need to send 8 bits to the output port.
    Al.

Albert E.

thanks sounds like I'm on track then. Good to know I'm not making false assumptions.

How are these pwm drives on the spindle motor?

You can check out the Galil OP (output port) command if you need to send 8 bits to the output port.
    Al.

Page 1 of 2 12