585,741 active members*
4,992 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > Is Mach3 compatible with Win7 64 bits or any 64 bits operating systems?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Is Mach3 compatible with Win7 64 bits or any 64 bits operating systems?

Craig,

Thank you for your excellent information. Now I understand why you were suggesting 2 ports ... once you have 4 axis, home switches, limit switches e switch ect. you run out port pins. So, being a newbie, I focused on what I needed to do to get up and running and not what I inevitable would like to have down the road. So, you are giving me some foresight I did not have.

I am currently trying to digest the rest of the information you have given me. It is kid of like drinking from a fire hose. The G450 looks like an easy to wire device. Not sure about what to use for a power supply. look like 150 to 200W peak.. Shoul I salvage the spindle vfd that comes with the Chinese unit or replace that too? Get a new enclosure? Lots to consider.

Off to ratiocinate on all of this.. I shall return after I can form more reasoned questions.

Thank again,

Jim

Hi,
    you may be able to use the stepper driver power supply that comes with the machine. They are sometimes as low as 24V and sometimes as high as 36V.
    The G540 is rated to 50V and to maximize the speed of the steppers I suggest you exploit with a 48V supply. A lesser supply would be fine initially, and
    indeed depending on the steppers, may be entirely adequate permanently.

Now I understand why you were suggesting 2 ports ... once you have 4 axis, home switches, limit switches e switch ect. you run out port pins.
    Yes, having extra inputs is a luxury. I use an Ethernet SmoothStepper (with Mach4) and it has three ports for a total of 51 inputs and outputs.
    I have found that my needs are satisfied by using only two ports, so while three ports or more is a luxury two ports is adequate where one port
    is definitely restrictive.

In addition the UC100 is USB connected whereas all the other boards I've recommended are Ethernet connected. USB is too noise prone and you get too
    many 'Run out of Data' errors, Ethernet is to my mind mandatory.

The UC100 (genuine) is about $120 whereas the two and three port boards I've listed range from about $140 to $180, so you do pay extra no doubt,
    but you only buy once and the extra capacity is luxurious.

One of the reasons that I prefer the ESS is that it max pulse rate is 4Mhz. Its not that I ever will use that but I do use an AC servo asa spindle for which
    I require a 470kHz pulse stream which the ESS accommodates easily whereas the UC series and the 57CNC top out at 100kHz. Thus if you ever entertain
    the idea of using servos, which are inherently capable of much finer resolution than steppers, and thereby demand higher pulse rates the ESS has an advantage.

Shoul I salvage the spindle vfd that comes with the Chinese unit or replace that too?
    Most people seem to get reasonable service from the Chinese supplied spindles and VFDs. Unless you are prepared to spend BIG dollars
    for European, US or Japanese made spindles you would be replacing one Chinese spindle with another anyway. My suggestion would be to use the
    spindle as supplied. If it is adequate...all well and good. If not...you will have the experience necessary to determine the performance parameters you need to
    achieve your aims. I can tell you that once you know what you want and whats important you tend to bypass Chinese and look again at the European/US/Japanese
    stuff despite the cost.

Once you start doing some serious machining it will become apparent why the spindle is by far the most expensive piece of gear on
    any machine, any performance issue with the spindle means lesser quality work.

For instance the German made spindle I really want for my new build mill is 5700Euro, that's just the spindle, no VFD or tool holders!
    If I couldn't afford it before COVID19 I sure as hell cannot now!!!

https://www.mechatron-gmbh.de/filead...SK_-_WEB_2.pdf

2.2kW so I can still use single phase, 42000 rpm and HSK tool change....I look at the pictures and drool!

Craig

One of the reasons that I prefer the ESS is that it max pulse rate is 4Mhz. Its not that I ever will use that but I do use an AC servo asa spindle for which
    I require a 470kHz pulse stream which the ESS accommodates easily whereas the UC series and the 57CNC top out at 100kHz. Thus if you ever entertain
    the idea of using servos, which are inherently capable of much finer resolution than steppers, and thereby demand higher pulse rates the ESS has an advantage.
    Incorrect. UC series top out at 400kHz (UC300ETH, UC400ETH, AXBB-E).
    UCCNC can do rigid tapping with encoder feedback to the motion controller, no need for servo spindle.

Hi,

Incorrect. UC series top out at 400kHz (UC300ETH, UC400ETH, AXBB-E).
    My apologies, I must have been confusing with either different or earlier models.

None-the-less 400kHz is still one tenth of 4Mhz. Its also true that I don't require an output pulse stream of greater than 500kHz what I may
    require is to read a fast encoder, the ESS allows up to 4Mhz.

UCCNC can do rigid tapping with encoder feedback to the motion controller, no need for servo spindle
    I did not use an AC servo as a spindle motor just to do rigid tapping, it was mainly about torque and power density. Rigid tapping and
    indexing are just happy consequences of position loop control. I was posting my experience and opinion of a piece of gear and to
    my knowledge I am entitled to have an opinion.

Craig

After some thinking I am considering a different Chinese unit. This unit claims Mach3 Win10 comparability, has limit switches, a large motor and inverter, auto zero and what looks to be a better pump. It is a lot more expensive but I can see value now where I could not before.

What I really like is the layout of the electronics box. With separate components for each stepper drive, power supply, motion controller and VFD. See attached picture.

This darn thing may work out of the box with WIN10 and Mach3 . If not, it looks real easy to swap out components. Plenty of modularity and space. So an ESS or an ESS and G540 could drop right in if required or for an improvement at a later date.

I am gaining confidence that I can do this and not fail. Plan A hope it works out of the box, Plan B replace components ESS, Plan C move away from home and find a spot under a bridge as the grief will be so great and serious as to threaten my survival.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach?

Hi,
    that looks like a much better unit altogether.....and individual parts that are replaceable at need. Good luck with your purchase.
    You might consider an extension to the budget for flowers/night out/new shoes/new handbag etc.... CNC budget is directly
    proportional to domestic bliss.

Craig

Just in case anyone is interested I found the manual for the motion controller card used in the control box shown in my previous post.

English starts on page 9.

It took a few hours of detective work to find this so I thought I would share it.

Hello, I am from China. I have read some of the above. I guess the person you contacted she just a sale. She doesnt know much about machine. If you cant run a software you may try to run software in different compatibility.

3-axis machine with stepper motor is really easy to build. If you want to try new software NCstudo please contact me to get simulator to have a try. [email protected]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NCstudio_Pheonix version.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 12