585,712 active members*
4,199 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > just got solid works

just got solid works

just got solidworks and was wondering what is a good tutorial to start learning from. (books,videos) i want to start with the very very basics and not form any bad habits. been using autocad for awhile now and i probably have gained some bad habits. started with autocad for dummies never finnished it though.

thanks
    bear

Hello Bear,
    I picked up a manual on Amazon, came with a media disk so you can read along or be lead through step by step by the writer. Not bad and starts right at the beginning, they have a yearly update so if running an older version you an get a book to suite (these are cheaper too). Engineering Design with Solidworks by D & M Planchard, they run through the whole package, sheet metal, cosmox...
    Worth checking out

thanks
    those are the one that i was looking at. but just wanted a second opinion.
    thanks again
    bear

SW tutorials

SW also has a built in online tutorial in the help menu that covers some of the basics and some slightly more advanced stuff.

Also there are a few companies that make video tutorials which are very good.. Solid professor being one that caters to SW

I have found some of them on you tube so you can get some useful tips, info and a taste for free.

Just do a search in you tube for Solid Works tutorials.

Yeah I like solid professor but too expensive the last time I checked.

solid professor

I have never checked the price on solid professor but as I mentioned You Tube has a bunch of them up for free

i've been going through the solidworks online tutorials for now. looked at solid professor it was about 600 for the whole package. i guess i lucked out a couple of weeks ago one of my moms cousins came and stayed with her and my dad for about a week to visit family. he told my mom that he "messed around with some cad software" so he stopped by my shop to see what i had going on and i got to talking with him, come to find out he is like one or two classes away from being a master instructor for solidworks. he highly recomended the solid professor courses.
    bear

Did you see one of the advertisers for this thread is offering training for SW for only$25. Follow this link http://v5.myigetit.com/mardir/search...FReQGgodBzg9mQ

I have no experience with them but I looked at the site and it seems pretty extensive and if you are going to spend some money on training why not spend it with the advertisers that make CNCZone possible.

The solid professor courses are great. You can actually download like 25 sample lessons for free if you download their software. They aren't full lessons but just a minute clip of each topic you pick. I learned a lot from them...

I can usually figure out anything I don't know but the time I put into having to figure it out gets pretty old. $600 for it is expensive but from the looks of the samples it probably is worth it.