586,011 active members*
3,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Starting out!

Hi All,

I am a complete newbie starting out to learn more about CNC and machining. My interests lie in creating small custom made hobby stuff [toys / toy kits etc.]. I have absolutely zero idea about CNC, and have only started reading up on the differences between routers, mills and lathes. When I go for hardware, it would mostly be a desktop router to begin and play around with.

Something like this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...1-a65b129fdd73

Kindly point me to some good resources [or similar threads in those forum] where I can learn a bit more before asking questions. Thanks.

Warm regards,

Re: Starting out!

Have you already got CAD software that you're comfortable with, and the ability to design these custom toy models and kits? If not, that's where you should start. You might decide that the router really isn't the tool you need to produce them, and a 3D printer would work better. Or that a router's not enough, and what you really need is a mill. Or that the making of the parts themselves isn't what you're interested in or equipped for, and that sending them out for production makes more sense.
    Andrew Werby
    Website