584,830 active members*
5,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Omax Maxiem 1530

I purchased a 2013 Maxiem 1530 this week and have a few questions if you have experience with this machine or similar:

1) Omax says I need to remove the gantry prior to moving it and that generally I need to 'decommission' the machine, yet couldn't provide documentation for how to do this. The gantry looks fairly easy to remove, and I can start disconnecting everything to pack it but if you have other do's or don'ts, please let me know.
    2) Omax says I need to go through a process for setting the machine back up (leveling, laser setup of the gantry and/or machining head, etc), yet again they couldn't provide me with install docs. Any suggestions?
    3) Any online resources you can point me to which will enable me to tear down, move, setup, operate, and maintain the machine is much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by HomerSimpson View Post
    I purchased a 2013 Maxiem 1530 this week and have a few questions if you have experience with this machine or similar:

1) Omax says I need to remove the gantry prior to moving it and that generally I need to 'decommission' the machine, yet couldn't provide documentation for how to do this. The gantry looks fairly easy to remove, and I can start disconnecting everything to pack it but if you have other do's or don'ts, please let me know.
    2) Omax says I need to go through a process for setting the machine back up (leveling, laser setup of the gantry and/or machining head, etc), yet again they couldn't provide me with install docs. Any suggestions?
    3) Any online resources you can point me to which will enable me to tear down, move, setup, operate, and maintain the machine is much appreciated!
    Hi if the bridge isn't removed then the rails can get damaged during transit. Remove the bridge from the drain end of the tank as the controler side hard stops are factory set, this allows for correct setting and to square up the tank.
    I can discuss more if needed may be best via email.
    Thanks

Re: Omax Maxiem 1530

They don't make it easy. They are not lying when they tell you their is no real documentation on most of this stuff. do you know if this a generation 1 or generation 2 maxiem?

is correct, you need to remove the bridge as well as free the X motors, you only need to disconnect a few cables from the bridge as well as the pneumatic connections, I can help you more b

A year, and a worldwide pandemic later, I'm finally getting back to this machine. I had to put it in storage for a year for a number of reasons. Anyway, got a rotary phase converter to run the pump. Everything is connected and powered. I'm following the Omax startup procedure and getting a fault that is preventing any motion. The motors are getting power, what appears to be intermittently. When I jiggle the ethernet cable where it connects to the control board, the gantry moves slightly. Not good. I was going to disconnect and reconnect everything to remove oxidation on the connectors and ensure everything is fully seated.

My broader question is around support. I am trying to get this machine running as a novice when it comes to waterjet machines. Omax wants $5,000 to get a service contract so they will support me. Should I do it, and will that even be enough? Seems like I need a support contract just to buy parts. Should I hire someone to finish the install for me? I read about getting the water source tested, which I haven't done. And there are likely other things I should do that haven't. Waterjet machines aren't like setting up a CNC router.

Your informed opinions are very welcome.

Hi Homer
    What cable are you referring to, is it the one under the cover at the back of the bridge or the ones on the gold colour drive cards.
    Also what lights do you have on the 9 axis board red green or amber.
    Thanks

Hi Neil76,
    Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I wanted to take pictures of each step.
    Picture 1 shows all the lights that are on after first turning the machine on. The air is not connected.
    Attachment 463454

Picture 2 shows the air light go off when I connect the air line.
    Attachment 463456

Picture 3 is of the screen in the Omax control software and you can see the [/Step][Stopped][Fault Triggered] status message. After this picture I turned on the pump controller/VFD.
    Attachment 463458

Picture 4 is after pressing the green button on the hand pendant. At this point you can hear the X axis motors energizing.
    Attachment 463460

Picture 5 is while the black button on the pendant is being held down.
    Attachment 463462

Picture 6 is after releasing the black button
    Attachment 463464

Jiggling the X1 or X2 cables slightly move the X axis motors. Jiggling the Y or Z cables doesn't move any motors.
    Running the absolute home routine does nothing.
    At no point does the fault in the software go away.

Hi There

Looking at the pictures tells me you have a possible fault with X2 and Y. X2 would be the back motor.
    Check the encoders on the Y axis and X2 axis, you should see a green light. Also slide up the front cover and take a look at the servo card
    Do you have a fast flashing green light, and also check the cat5 cable on the differential board connected to the servo card (gold coulored eclipse card)
    Feel free to give me your email address and I could send you some more in-depth faulty finding info.

Many thanks

Neil

Great diagnosis! All the encoders were green except X2, which was red. I swapped the encoders between X1 and X2 and X2 stayed red when plugged in to the X1 position.

Not sure what you mean by the servo cards. There are 4 control boards underneath a cover on the back/outboard side of the machine, but they aren't gold, nor could I see a name of eclipse anywhere. I tried to PM you but the system wouldn't let me. I guess the next step is to replace the encoder (LM10IC001AB10F00). Omax is showing it at $500.

Hi There

Sorry the servo card's are under the Red cover at the front of the bridge, remove the top plate and slide up the red cover with the Maxiem logo on, they are hidden behind here.
    But if you have swapped over the encoders and it's still red then I would start with this, the position of the encoder is important, check in the tool chest for the setting shim. This is around 10" long 3/8" and around 0.5mm thick.
    Try moving the encoder closer to the magnetic strip, and the small connections on the boards at the front of the machine under the panel.
    The cable connections for the encoders are very small and the ferrules can become loose.
    Good luck.
    Neil

Hi there

Is this a Gen 1 Maxiem or Gen 2.
    If it's a Gen 1 then it won't have the gold servo card's, but it will have encoder extension cable's, the connections in the plugs can go bad on these.
    Thanks

This is a Gen 1 Maxiem. We repaired a bad connector on an encoder, and setup the gap to the encoder strip, and now the lights on both Xs and Y are green. The lights on the stepper boards are all green (see below). Still getting the same error message/fault on the screen though. You can also see in the picture below that there are red lights on the X2 and Y main controller board.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	463952

Name:	PXL_20210522_214329810.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	463954

Hi

Do the lights go red as soon as you power up and press reset are are they green for a few seconds.
    On the controller card's we are looking for fast flashing lights.
    The next thing I would try is ensure the encoder plugs have a good connection on the boards this is the round connection.
    Next try swapping over the cat5 cable from X1 to X2 on both ends does the faulty follow.
    Also can you send over pictures of all the individual card's, so we can check the dripp switch settings.
    Also check that you have a good connection between the drive wheels and the rails, make sure the wheels are not slipping when the power is applied.
    Thanks

On power up, all the lights are red.
    When pressing the green reset button, they go to the state previously described (X1 green, X2/Y red).
    All the lights on the controller boards are fast flashing green as you said.
    I checked all the connections (cat 5 and round encoder cables), re-seated them, and also cleaned the wheels/shafts and still get the same result.
    When I swapped the cat 5 between X1 and X2 only at the gantry boards, now all three are red (X1/X2/Y).
    While these were still swapped, I then swapped the cat 5 connections at the main control board and all are still red. This I don't understand. I should probably repeat this step to make sure.
    Finally, while the cat5s are swapped at the main control board, I swapped the cat5s between X1 and X2 back at the gantry so they were back to their original position, and now X2 is not red and X1 is.
    Here are the pix of the individual boards.

Name:	PXL_20210523_175030263.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	464040

Name:	PXL_20210523_175036508.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	464038

Name:	PXL_20210523_175049449.jpg 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	464044

Name:	PXL_20210523_175059066.jpg 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	464042

Hi there

Do you have any spare cat5 cable's available just run them over the table to test. It's important to fully power down the table before making any swapps.

Thanks

Do the errors reset if you press the black (reset button) on the pendant.

Thanks

The errors do not reset when pressing the black button on the pendant. Here's a summary of all my testing, which I've just repeated. To make sense of the logic, I've called the factors Gantry, which is the control board on the gantry and there are two levels to this factor X1 and X2 (i.e. two control boards). The next factor is the cable and it has two levels, what I am calling dashed or solid, to distinguish between the two. The last factor is the main controller board and it has two factors, X1 and X2.
    Attachment 464048

Then I introduced a third cable, called yellow and tested these two configurations:
    Attachment 464050
    Attachment 464052

So I can conclude:
    1. Both control positions on the main control board are good.
    2. The X2 control board on the gantry is good.
    3. The dash and yellow cable are good.
    4. No configuration yields a good result with the X1 control board.

Hi there

We could try and determine if the X1 control board is at fault by swapping it out for the Z card.
    The Important thing for this is to note the position of the DIPP switches on the cards,
    The phisical position of the boards are not Important.

Set the DIPP switches on X1 card the same as they are on Z
    Set the DIPP switches on Z card the same as they are on X1
    Swapp the motor cable's from X1 to Z and from Z to X1
    And move the encoder from X1 to Z
    Good luck

Hi there

One thing I would like to try before swapping the cards,
    Swapp around the encoder plugs on the cards from Xf to Xr and Xr to Xf
    This will check the feedback from the encoder to the card.
    If there is no charge then swapp back.
    Thanks

I swapped the encoder cables from Xf to Xr. No effect.
    I swapped the encoder/motor cables from Xf to Z and swapped the DIP settings. No effect.

Page 1 of 2 12