584,860 active members*
4,945 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question re: 4th axis rotary

Hey G'day folks,

Just wondering with 4th axis rotary, is there a software that anyone can recommend that does a continuous rotary movement. Keeps turning 360 while cutting rather than a left to right finishing at 360. I've seen a few YouTube videos where the 4th axis is turning like a lathe without the speed while the cutter is doing its job.

Also just a small show and tell, a few months ago I was asking about cutting speeds and the like for perspex. I got lucky on one job but the rest I was having issues with melting and perspex sticking to the cutter.
    With the tips and suggestions I got I think I've finally cracked it and am able to do bas reliefs in perspex without any issues at all.

The job below is 20mm perspex from a type of photo frame, two pieces with magnets to hold a picture in the center. You can see the 4 magnets, haven't removed them yet. Haven't polished the perspex yet either. I did an inverted bas relief pretty much looks like a mold from the back but pretty nice I think from the front.

I used a .5 radius tapered ball nose. Before I used the ball nose what I did was at the bottom I did a 6mm vector x the width of the job and used a 3mm single flute to do some roughing just enough so the ball nose could get in and do the job.
    Job took about 7 hours to finish then as a single final pass.

Spindle speed I don't know what it is in rpm, the digital display was 10000 whatever that equates too, its a quater of the 40000 display when the vfd boots. I know the VFD can be changed to display rpm last time I looked a couple of years ago now and I gave up, I couldn't make sense of the instructions. I'm only guessing 6000 rpm?!?!?! The feed was 1200mm/s it wasn't going that fast there were very few straight lines in the job.

Job size 300 x 200.

I think it came out ok. Happy to hear your thoughts.

Cheers and ty
    Steve

Attachment 439218
    Attachment 439220

Re: Question re: 4th axis rotary

Look at Deskproto.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Look at Deskproto.
    Thank you for the tip.. Ger

Just wondering with 4th axis rotary, is there a software that anyone can recommend that does a continuous rotary movement. Keeps turning 360 while cutting rather than a left to right finishing at 360.
    I can't recommend any SW for this, but I can suggest a HW mod for it.
    I set up a 555 oscillator (or something similar in CMOS, I forget) with a variable potentiometer for the speed, and an SPDT switch. The switch chooses between the pulse drive from Mach3 and the output from this oscillator. Switch to oscillator,adjust rotation speed: slow lathe.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Just wondering with 4th axis rotary, is there a software that anyone can recommend that does a continuous rotary movement. Keeps turning 360 while cutting rather than a left to right finishing at 360.
    I can't recommend any SW for this, but I can suggest a HW mod for it.
    I set up a 555 oscillator (or something similar in CMOS, I forget) with a variable potentiometer for the speed, and an SPDT switch. The switch chooses between the pulse drive from Mach3 and the output from this oscillator. Switch to oscillator,adjust rotation speed: slow lathe.

Cheers
    Roger
    That would be an interesting mod for sure, do you know if something like that would work for uccnc?

Cheers,
    Steve

It is a pure HW mod. It goes between the UCCNC and the rotary drive. In other words, it has nothing to do with the UCCNC.
    Um - that assumes you can get between the UCCNC pins and the rotary input of course.

Cheers
    Roger

Yup I can, seeing as we are all locked in I think that will give me something to do.

Cheers,
    Steve

What about a cheap Stepper drivers on ebay that allow one to control the speed of a stepper via a pot?
    https://tinyurl.com/vfykv3p

Exactly the same thing.
    I made my own because I have cupboards full of electronic chips etc from the past; I am too mean to buy what I can make; and it was fun.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    What about a cheap Stepper drivers on ebay that allow one to control the speed of a stepper via a pot?
    https://tinyurl.com/vfykv3p
    Hey G'day,

That's a pretty good idea as well - primarily why I was asking about continuous rotary is on the odd occasion I'm making something on the 4th axis I dont like the finish that I get when the cutter is traveling X and small Y increments. I'd prefer if the rotary was moving past 360 degrees and having Z doing its job with X moving incrementally and Y to be stationary. So I don't really want to use my rotary as a lathe, though I can see merit in doing some things that way. Particularly sanding lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Exactly the same thing.
    I made my own because I have cupboards full of electronic chips etc from the past; I am too mean to buy what I can make; and it was fun.

Cheers
    Roger
    LOL I had a good laugh - mean huh lol Coal for you this Christmas....

STeve