584,871 active members*
5,418 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Milling > Advice on buying a milling machine

Advice on buying a milling machine

Hello!

My dad was a machinist for a long time, but left the field long ago. He went on to become an engineer, but machining was always his passion.

His birthday is coming up, and I would very much like to surprise him with a milling machine. I don't know where to start as far as looking for one goes, however.

It doesn't need to be very big, something large enough to work, say, 8"x4"x4" or so (arbitrary), and I would much prefer to buy new, but I would like to get one as inexpensive as possible, as I am a college student. Max budget of around $800 or thereabouts.

Can anyone help me with suggestions? Pointing me in the direction of reliable media through which I could learn more about the field would also be great. I am relatively experienced in woodworking and I think I would like to use the mill and would enjoy machining as well.

TL;DR: ex-machinist dad's birthday coming up, want to surprise him with relatively inexpensive, small milling machine

Thanks a lot in advance!

Re: Advice on buying a milling machine

In that price range the 2 that come to mind are the Sieg X2 mini-mill or possibly a Taig.
    Examples of the X2
    https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...-Machine/G8689
    or
    https://www.harborfreight.com/two-sp...ine-44991.html
    The smallest Taig
    https://taigtools.com/product/micro-mill-2018er/

The X2 is crudely built but heavier duty than the smaller Taig.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Aren't you nice.
    For that price you might consider a used Bridgeport. Look on Ebay or Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist for something local. So you don't have to pay shipping. Maybe you and he can restore the machine. That would be quality time with dad

It doesn't need to be very big, something large enough to work, say, 8"x4"x4" or so (arbitrary), and I would much prefer to buy new, but I would like to get one as inexpensive as possible, as I am a college student. Max budget of around $800 or thereabouts.
    Was the question. Maybe space isn't a problem, it wasn't stated.
    It must be nice living somewhere where Bridgeports show up for $800, and yes I'm aware such places exist.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Space was a problem for me...my house has a detached 2 car garage and there is a breezeway that was converted into a third car garage.

My wife and I park in the detached garage, and our 'shop' is in the single car garage converted breezeway. I have my ammunition loading/reloading setup, a CNC converted LMS mini mill, a FDM 3D printer, work bench, all my old rifle shooting gear (mat, coat, spotting scope, rest, etc.), my tool boxes, shelving for car-house-etc. maintenance, the kids bikes, recycling can, emergency supplies....

Needless to say it's pretty packed, kind of like Tetris...the mini mill was the only option for me. I wanted a Bridgeport but the problem was I didn't have anywhere to stick it.

Not sure what OP situation is, but I bet a lot of others are like me and go for the small mill because we just don't have the room for something larger.

I agree with all that you folks have to say. I was just trying to put myself in the Dad's shoes.

IMHO... While a new $800 mill might be nice and cute, if i was a life long machinist/engineer, what would I prefer? A small Chinese mill that may not be able to do anything really well, or some big old ugly iron that built the world as we know it (even if I had to put some effort into getting it up to par)?

Agreed, space is an issue. Transport is an issue. Tooling is an issue. Power is an issue. But all of these are an opportunity for son/dad to learn and be together. I wish, my son had been so interested in my passions when he was younger. Believe me, it is not so much about the thing that is the gift, its' about being together.

Here is one for $900 in PA. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bridgeport-77721-12-Vertical-Milling-Machine-42-1-2-X-9-3PH/193397469108?hash=item2d07632fb4:g:UtAAAOSwQURedLk r

If you are anywhere near, I would help you go get it.

A used RF-31 might be found for around 500 not a bad mill.
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    I agree with all that you folks have to say. I was just trying to put myself in the Dad's shoes.

IMHO... While a new $800 mill might be nice and cute, if i was a life long machinist/engineer, what would I prefer? A small Chinese mill that may not be able to do anything really well, or some big old ugly iron that built the world as we know it (even if I had to put some effort into getting it up to par)?

Agreed, space is an issue. Transport is an issue. Tooling is an issue. Power is an issue. But all of these are an opportunity for son/dad to learn and be together. I wish, my son had been so interested in my passions when he was younger. Believe me, it is not so much about the thing that is the gift, its' about being together.

Here is one for $900 in PA. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bridgeport-77721-12-Vertical-Milling-Machine-42-1-2-X-9-3PH/193397469108?hash=item2d07632fb4:g:UtAAAOSwQURedLk r

If you are anywhere near, I would help you go get it.
    Engineering in practice ends up being a series of concessions whether it's designing parts, developing mfg processes, selecting equipment...an engineer would think about this logically and balance expected part size, precision/accuracy required, financial expenditure allowable, space requirements, electrical requirements, etc. and then find the machine that checks the most boxes.

Taking an emotional stance about buying an old Bridgeport because it 'built the world' is very antithetical to the engineering mindset. Sure, there are many reasons to buy a Bridgeport over a cheap mini mill, but like I said above, there may be some really good reasons not to for many of us.

Just my $.02, I don't mean to contradict you, just trying to shed some light on how engineers in the 21st century are trained to think. The older guys I've worked with follow a similar thought process.

Quote Originally Posted by HobbyistDad View Post
    Engineering in practice ends up being a series of concessions whether it's designing parts, developing mfg processes, selecting equipment...an engineer would think about this logically and balance expected part size, precision/accuracy required, financial expenditure allowable, space requirements, electrical requirements, etc. and then find the machine that checks the most boxes.

Taking an emotional stance about buying an old Bridgeport because it 'built the world' is very antithetical to the engineering mindset. Sure, there are many reasons to buy a Bridgeport over a cheap mini mill, but like I said above, there may be some really good reasons not to for many of us.

Just my $.02, I don't mean to contradict you, just trying to shed some light on how engineers in the 21st century are trained to think. The older guys I've worked with follow a similar thought process.
    Wait, what? We are talking about a birthday present, right? We aren't starting a business to build widgets.
    Maybe it would be an easier concept to grasp if we were talking about cars. Lets say dad was a car guy. What would he like better a 2020 KIA, or a fixer upper 69 Camero SS?

If you are using a spreadsheet to evaluate the best birthday present, then you have missed something. Maybe you should bone up on your 21st century Common Core training. Oh, yes, and what are your pronouns so I don't offend you in future communications?

The point I was trying to make is if you're trained and immersed in a certain way of thinking and doing things, it can be hard to shut that off even if you're not in a professional setting.

i like the PRECISION MATTHEWS

i would get him a bucket of chips, and rent a small cabin for 2 days ... there is much more soul in nature, than in a piece of metal
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Having owned a bridgeport and now a PM25mv (due to a lack of space after I closed my business) I would consider getting him a Bridgeport, but maybe talk to him about it first. I wouldn't buy a cheap china mill in 100 years. The PM is mediocre for a china mill, but it is outside your price range.