585,978 active members*
4,250 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Macro B installed?

Is there a quick, easy way to tell if Macro B is installed on a 6T control? How about a 10-11-12T?

Thanks...

try this in MDI mode...
    #1=1;
    if it accepts this input. then you have the option.

Don't forget to make sure the value stays in the control when the reset key is hit. I had an OT and an 18T control that excepted inputs, but the parameters that cleared the variables by the "Reset" buttom & M30 weren't set properly. Hitting the reset key so a tool could be rerun resulted in a clean slate.

Don't forget to make sure the value stays in the control when the reset key is hit.
    That's why you use common variables and not local variables if you need values that "stick". Most machines will dump local variables or have it unrecognized after reset or M30. This keeps you from from stacking values when nesting locals to more than 1 level. Many machines can nest locals from 3-8 levels deep... you'll run into all kinds of problems if it "stuck".
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Quote Originally Posted by psychomill View Post
    That's why you use common variables and not local variables if you need values that "stick". Most machines will dump local variables or have it unrecognized after reset or M30. This keeps you from from stacking values when nesting locals to more than 1 level. Many machines can nest locals from 3-8 levels deep... you'll run into all kinds of problems if it "stuck".
    Thanks for the additional information. Up until a couple months ago all my programs were written using #500-#531. I tried to keep a set range for a specific use. Ran out of variables. So I decided to use that series only for controling such things as diameters, groove widths, etc. I chose to use the #100-#149 macros for use in my master and subprograms because it looked to me like the other variables are used by the canned cycles, and the G65 macro program calls that are used by Hardinge for such things as deep drilling.

I am only just beginning to have an understanding of how they nest. Not nearly enough to use them. Besides, I don't think I will need them for the kind of parts we make. I only program for lathes.

Knowledge is always a good thing, & often in short supply. Thanks.

#100 - 149 can be set to "stick" or dump. If you have a FANUC control and someone is willing to share the info, a parameter can be changed so that you can enable the Extended Variables option (#100 - 199 & #500 - 999). That should give you plenty of common variables to work with.

The factory canned cycles are most definately using locals and #100 sets. But you should be free to use them as well. Thats the reason why the control will dump them after execution, at reset, or end of program. You're not going to affect the machines canned cycles just because you're using the same local sets.... At least I've never run into it in decades of programming.....

The thing to watch for are the commons (#500, etc). Many machines with special options may use some of these variables for opional components like tool probes (Tool Length Measure Units), secondary spindle positions, Pallet ID, Machine ID, etc, etc , just to name a few things. Change one of those on a machine that uses it and you may be in for a surprise.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

#1=1<EOB>

the control accepts the input but when cycle start is pressed, the error "Invalid break word point" (paraphrased) is shown. I assume I don't have Macro B installed?

Thanks for all the replies BTW...

Check bits 913 #7 Macro B 917 #4 Var 149-199 & 531-999

Correction: that is for the 0 the macro B for the 10 is 9111 bit #0
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

check your inbox.
    I think I sent you a private message the other day concerning parameters
    -Jim