584,802 active members*
4,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Step by step cnc plasma with parts list and links.

Step by step cnc plasma with parts list and links.

Okay, I have had a number of PM' s from members, both old and new, with a number of questions about how to build a complete machine, or a particular part of a machine.
    Many of these members do not own welders and/or don't know how to weld.
    They may not have access to the tools/materials that some of us do, or they may not want to go the 80/20 route.

I have been developing a series of plans, step by step, with drawings, that would allow anyone to build a simple steel cnc plasma, with no special tools.
    All the drawings will be in dxf form, and also .jpg form, so you can open them here on the forum.

I know that ALL of the information needed is buried in the build logs and other threads here, but it is either archived, or hard to find. Hence another slew of questions, over and over again. There are also the people who can look at a build log all day long and still not understand the concept of how it works. There are a few other threads with drawings and a parts list, but it seems that many people have looked through the rest and just gotten more confused.
    I will cover the whole process, step by step, with an explanation of every part, moving and otherwise.

This thread would contain all the sources needed to build a basic machine on a budget, enabling the builder to buy the machine piecemeal or several parts at a time.

Now, I need to get an idea of how many people would use something like this.
    Please don't harass me or flame me with comments like "Learn how to use the Search feature", or "The answers are already here". I am trying to set this up to help people and share knowledge, not start a "know-it-all" war.
    Now, please post up helpful ideas, comments, suggestions, etc.
    My ears are open.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

Yes, we need some plans!!

Awesome! Thank you for being so helpful & offering to do this as I know it takes a great deal of time & effort on your part to put this all together. I am anxious to see what you come up with, and will help in any way I can.

Thanks a lot,
    Bryan
    www.metalranchsigns.com

I would reference it, along with all the other build logs and search options mentioned. I want it all, a CNC mill, lathe, router, plasma...just need to stop reading/researching and start building

Quote Originally Posted by Rube View Post
    I would reference it, along with all the other build logs and search options mentioned.
    I want it all, a CNC mill, lathe, router, plasma
    You are exactly right about that Me too.

The idea behind this is that you can follow it step by step, or just use it as you said, as a reference among others. It is not meant to rule out any other ideas, moreover it is meant to help everyone be creative and open their minds to new ideas, although it will be a simplistic design.
    If someone comes up with a better idea than me, by all means post it up.

I also want to know if anyone has questions along the way, but I hope the plans will preclude that.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

-RedGreen show.

Talking Keep Going

Massa

Glad to see you are going ahead with this project! (Knew you would!)

I will definitely put my 2 cents worth in when I can help.

Keep it up as this will help lots of others as well as create more ideas.

GG

Helpful

Quote Originally Posted by massajamesb View Post
    The idea behind this is that you can follow it step by step, or just use it as you said, as a reference among others.
    This seems like a very helpful project you are proposing.
    It will certainly benefit many, especially those wishing to start a CNC plasma table build.

Nice new avatar you have!
    When welding, don't forget to wear that cute little helmet we used to see beside your name.

WT-
    haven't seen you in a bit, hope you are well.
    GG got himself a nice likeness of himself in his avatar, and I had a similar idea.

-RedGreen show.

Hey Massajamesb,

I'm a newbie here on cnczone, as well as newbie in machine shop business (although I've spent alot of time in machine shops as a customer), but have alot of experience in the construction and IT worlds. I've seen several cnc plasma cutters in operation.

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas, plans, and/or drawings for cnc plasma. I'm building my first CNC machine, and want to make a multi-function device that will give me the most flexibility with the equipment. I know that a different table would probably be needed for a cnc plasma, vs a cnc router, engraver or foam cutter (features that I want for my shop).

I'm really interested in how you design the equipment to handle the 'dirty' aspects of plasma cutting in a machine that is usually operated in a cleaner environment. Do you provide any kind of protective coverings to keep the moving parts clean?

I'm also interested in finding a plasma cutter that has interchangable cutting guns (one that is tied to the cnc plasma and another that is used freehand). Is that feasible?

Thanks again, in advance and have a great week!

Welcome to Cnczone, good to have you here, ddrew.

What I am going to start posting here is a basic design and instructional for a small shop or hobby oriented cnc plasma table, on a budget.
    It will be in an easy to manage, bolt together steel frame, and readily available inexpensive parts.

A basic write up of how all the components work and tie in together will be a part as well.

There will not be too much focus on dust control systems, or things of that nature, as they add to the cost. This will be a basic, no frills build design.
    These things could be designed and added later, of course. Items like a overhead dust collector, or a water table.

My personal machine has the 180 degree machine torch, but I can switch back to my hand torch in a couple of minutes. If you were to simply use your normal hand torch on the cnc, it would be as simple as unclamping it from the machine in order to use by hand.

-RedGreen show.