584,865 active members*
4,840 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Drilling aluminium with chinese spindle

Drilling aluminium with chinese spindle

I am starting to use my homemade milling machine with a 2.2 kw chinese spindle. I need some help about the parameters to use to drill holes with standard HSS-co twist drills. I have tried to drill with 4mm diameters at 10000 RPM and 20 mm/min feed. It works but it looks quite slow, in fact chips are almost dust.
    Hi increased speed to 40 mm/min, but I broke the drill. To be fair, I have the doubt that the drill was already damaged, but I can't be sure and I don't want to break more before listening to your opinion.
    So what speed and feed do you suggest to use?

Re: Drilling aluminium with chinese spindle

On my small mill (sieg X2) I generally drill at 1,000rpm and 20-30mm/min with a 4mm bit. Yes it's slow, in my view the spindle head is too light for a good crack at it. I also run my coolant.
    I reckon for a start at 10,000 rpm you're heating the bit quite a lot which won't help with breakages.
    I had little luck with HSS and I now use cobalt bits for everything.

Haven't tried my new mill yet. It has a quill so I'll position by gcode with M1 between each move and drill the holes with the quill by hand.

I had already tried to use that calculator, but the result feed is about 500 mm/min that is about 25 times more what I am using, I think it is too extreme. Furthermore it gives 4500 RPM but with chinese spindle it is better to work at least at 8000 rpm.

well I think you will have to peck. 10,000rpm is generally too fast for a drill so you have to compensate somehow....Peter

Quote Originally Posted by morfeus80 View Post
    I am starting to use my homemade milling machine with a 2.2 kw chinese spindle. I need some help about the parameters to use to drill holes with standard HSS-co twist drills. I have tried to drill with 4mm diameters at 10000 RPM and 20 mm/min feed. It works but it looks quite slow, in fact chips are almost dust.
    Hi increased speed to 40 mm/min, but I broke the drill. To be fair, I have the doubt that the drill was already damaged, but I can't be sure and I don't want to break more before listening to your opinion.
    So what speed and feed do you suggest to use?
    Best option to me in this case would be to use a center/spot drill to make pilot holes (slightly smaller say 3mm) at around 4mm deep. They can go in a bit faster.
    Then use drill press to drill the hole by hand afterwards.

I do this fairly often these days.
    A cutter bit like this:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pcs-60-C...l/262192375757

I wouldn't describe a machine with a router spindle as a mill and thats the source of your problem.Have you considered helical interpolation as an alternative?

I'd get high quality short length drill bits, and peck drill as fast as your machine can handle, at 8000-10000 rpm. Always start with a 3mm bit, and go back and finish with the 4mm.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)