584,874 active members*
5,202 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > Hardware and software settings when swapping my four stepper motor drives

Hardware and software settings when swapping my four stepper motor drives

Hi,

I am planning on changing the four stock TX14207 stepper motor drives for some TB6600 models. I'm fairly new to machining and with my new CNC router and I noticed that the stepper motors sometimes make a bit of noise while they are idle. It seems the TX14207 drivers are no good, there is no support, and I haven't found any information on how to correctly set the dip switches on them. I've quickly read that the TB6600 are stable and are well supported and they are pretty affordable.

If I decide to change these for the TB6600, do I simply require to swap the wiring and set the new dip switch settings or must I also require to bring any changes to the motion controller board and/or make changes to the Mach3 software?

Thanks,
    Leo

Re: Hardware and software settings when swapping my four stepper motor drives

Hello, Leo

I know a liitle bit about step driver, maybe you can reduce the resolution or current on step driver. hope this help you some. My company manuactures Ncstudio controller. I dont think Mach3 makes problem to motor when IDLE. so you better check step driver's setting.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for stepping in.

The problem is that I have no idea how to set the dip switches on the TX14207 for modifying the resolution or current draw. I was unable to find information on this, neither anyone as the manufacturer never shared any manual. The total unit would require reverse engineering to understand how it works. I had a look at the IC tech sheet but putting the puzzle together is beyond my knowledge.

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by leoparleur View Post
    Hi Jason,

Thanks for stepping in.

The problem is that I have no idea how to set the dip switches on the TX14207 for modifying the resolution or current draw. I was unable to find information on this, neither anyone as the manufacturer never shared any manual. The total unit would require reverse engineering to understand how it works. I had a look at the IC tech sheet but putting the puzzle together is beyond my knowledge.

Leo

Hello Leo,

Usually, step driver is like the pictures I attached. It is not your job to tune CNC machine. the manufactuer should make everything fine and sell to you. Take pictures as I did, maybe I could help and guide you to set.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg  

Hi Jason,

I don't see any of your attached pictures, I only see mine.

I know it's not my job and I agree with you. But out of precaution when I received the whole machine I opened the controller box to verify that all wires where solidly screwed in place and non-hazardous. We cannot trust them enough. I then noticed that dip switch #7 on the A-axis module was set between the on and off position. I had no clue where it had to be set. I searched the internet as I knew that the Chinese support wouldn't help me much. The internet wasn't helpful in this case. I contacted the seller so to ask them to provide me some instructions. They refused as they told me it was set correctly from manufacture but after explaining them the situation they accepted to at least sent me a picture of the four-axis driver modules so I can replicate the dip switch positions according to CNCEST.

If the TX14207 modules are no good, then I will ditch them so I don't lose any of my time trying to investigate where the problem comes from. If the noise I heard is due to bad driver modules, again it's a good reason to quickly get rid of them.
    The new TB6600 drivers are on their way. If it is easy to swap I will do so. If it requires hardware and software modifications then I will require some help.

Is there an easy way to identify if a driver module is faulty?

Thanks,
    Leo

Hello Leo,

I am sorry I am not able to help. There are no any information or brand in the controller box. My manufactuer customers never make such bad machine. Hope someone else can help you solve the problem.

Jason

Hello Jason,

Thank you anyhow.