586,009 active members*
4,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 90vdc supply

90vdc supply

Setting up my old Bridgeport to run off my PC and collecting parts, the servos are 90 vdc 20 amp the motor controller uses 24 to 150vdc and suggests to use a power supply close to the motor voltage.

Any ideas where such a large dc power supply might be bought?

I will be documenting the conversion here, will be building everything myself, servo mounts, quill ball screw apparatus etc

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 90vdc supply

Pretty easy to build a power supply that would run all of your motors at full power, but way overkill.

Assuming 240V input
    A 5KVA encapsulated 240x480/120x240 transformer. wired for 480V in, and 240V out. Outputs 60VAC. = about 85V DC when rectified.
    A 50 amp, 200V bridge rectifier
    A 8700uF, 150V capacitor
    A 5W, 5000 ohm resistor

Another good option would be 72V, 20 AMP https://www.automationtechnologiesin...vac-or-230vac/ And a heck of a lot less money than the power supply I spec'd above

Having said that, I am running similar motors on my BP clone mill with a single 75V, 5 AMP supply with no problems.

All of the above have a lot of momentary overload capacity. You do not want to use a switching power supply.

For most part your servos will be running at a very small fraction of their rated output.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

That’s great info and what I was looking for, I saw those power supplies but wasn’t sure if I needed one for each axis? Looks like one will do the job since not all 3 will be running at full tilt at once

Thank you for the help this saved me a lot of money and frustration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antek are my go to for power supplies have ordered loads from them. Prices are always good and quality is right up there, made in the usa too!

https://www.antekinc.com/power-supplies/

It is easy to make this unregulated power supply. You can get all the components easily. If necessary, you can make the toroidal coil, many people can make them. Not much calculation and wiring.

Servo supply design is never taylored to exactly the motor rated voltage, there should be at least 10% + voltage supply, see Electronic Design paper attached .
    Al.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by AshG View Post
    Antek are my go to for power supplies have ordered loads from them. Prices are always good and quality is right up there, made in the usa too!

https://www.antekinc.com/power-supplies/
    They are one of the best I use them also but he could also piece one together with parts from other suppliers a little cheaper
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    They are one of the best I use them also but he could also piece one together with parts from other suppliers a little cheaper
    Yeah they are a great company, even after their facility burnt down a few years back they bounced back. I have used their stuff for decades in all sorts of machines even several high end amps, preamps and dacs that I have built from scratch for high end audio. Not a single one has ever failed which is why I keep going back to them.

yeah you can build your own save a few bucks but why bother it's not like Antek are expensive in the grand scheme of things. I would assume that op would rather buy than build one, if the intention was to build I suspect the title would read how do I build an un regulated 90v power supply lol.

Btw I'm pretty certain automation technology buy their power supplies in from antek ;-) so whichever way you go it will be a good power supply