584,814 active members*
5,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser engraving issues

Hi Guys
    Can anyone help me please. I Have a Bodor 1300/900 with a 120 watt glass tube. The tube has now failed and I have bought a new tube and power supply. I'm not sure if I need a new PSU?

The new tube is a 80 watt, and power supply to match. Thing is the power supply looks completely different to my original one. The bottom connections are different and there is a thin blue wire connected to the top of it, there isn't one on the new PSU.

What I would like to know, can I use the original PSU (providing it is okay) even though the tube wattage is different?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Laser engraving issues

Quote Originally Posted by larkeys View Post
    Hi Guys
    Can anyone help me please. I Have a Bodor 1300/900 with a 120 watt glass tube. The tube has now failed and I have bought a new tube and power supply. I'm not sure if I need a new PSU?

The new tube is a 80 watt, and power supply to match. Thing is the power supply looks completely different to my original one. The bottom connections are different and there is a thin blue wire connected to the top of it, there isn't one on the new PSU.

What I would like to know, can I use the original PSU (providing it is okay) even though the tube wattage is different?

Thanks in advance.
    No, you cannot use a 120 watt power supply for an 80 watt tube. The high voltage required for the two lasers is different. You can read this, if you get on ebay and look at power supply listings, as some suppliers provide a table that shows the voltage for each laser power.

Do you need a new power supply if the laser tube has gone bad?--no, the gas is a consumable item and when consumed, the tube itself is replaced.

The power supplies generally have two different connection order for the electronics control. The controls connections are typically labeled on the power supply (its printed circuit board). You can read the letters then re-order the wires going in. That said, sometimes the letters are different from one manufacturer to another, but you can check in online, just keep in mind that they are the same wiring inputs, just a different order.

For connections to the laser tube itself, the smaller wire is typically colored black or blue and the high voltage line is a thick red. A ground wire should be connected from the metal case of the power supply to the metal enclosure (paint removed) of the laser machine--and the laser machine itself should be grounded to earth ground (as these high voltage power supplies have lethal voltages and this is the best practice).

Re: Laser engraving issues

Hi, Thanks for your advice. Good job I didn't just connect the original power supply then!!

The wires on the new power supply are red high voltage and white the bottom connectors are marked FG AC AC.
    The ones on the original one are red high voltage and blue. And the connections on the bottom just plug in.

I have two other GCC lasers and have never grounded them to earth. Is this just for the Chinese lasers?

Thanks again.