585,763 active members*
4,192 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > New to Me Bridgeport EzTrak Questions on RetroFit

New to Me Bridgeport EzTrak Questions on RetroFit

So about two weeks ago I picked up 1998 EzTrax DX.

The group I got it from I don't believe knew how to work on it since their sister company originally had it and transfered it over to them when they upgraded to some HAAS machines. The machine was wired for 440v and they were trying to hook up 220v. They said the motor didn't work on it and made funny noise - wonder why?

The iron is in great shape and after I wired the motor up for 220 the motor runs nice and smooth. I have not put any power to the controller as of yet because I wanted to investigate what I actually had and didn't want to burn anything up.

In my investigation I have found that the BMDC board is missing (I think someone took it out for Friday night beer money)

For a little back ground on me - I am new to the CNC world but I am very adapt to electronics/computers.

So my question to those on this forum that has all of the knowledge on these machines is this - should I locate a replacement BMDC or should I look at retro fitting it to something newer of this century. My concern on getting a BMDC is

1) old technology
    2) what else will I find wrong that I will be shelling money out on.
    3) will I be throwing good money after bad going down a rabbits hole

If I retro fit the machine

1)What should I move to?
    2) I am a hobbyist so I will not be using it to make money with
    3) Funds will be limited

So I guess my choices are basically stay with the old, move to new or don't worry about any of it and just use it as a manual mill

I appreciate your knowledge and thank you in advance for your help.

Re: New to Me Bridgeport EzTrak Questions on RetroFit

Good morning,

If all you are missing is the BMDC board, it might be worth having someone come out and look at it. When I go out on service calls, I try and take spare parts with me if I have any for that machine. Recently we had a customer trade in an EZ Trak for an Acu-Rite MillPWR G2 retrofit, so I have an entire control console to help troubleshoot with. If you can find someone near you who has spare parts, they should be able to use their parts to at least troubleshoot your unit or tell you what all is wrong with it. We can still get new or remanufactured parts for the EZ Trak, so that isn't an issue.

Where are you located?

There are many different options out there as far as new retrofit kits. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend and who you call. We are a distributor for Acu-Rite, so that is the retrofit kit we offer. But there are countless brands out there.

If you decide to only use the mill as a manual mill, msg me please.

Jon
    H&W Machine Repair

dustpan3

If that is all that is wrong with it, then we have some BMDC Boards, the EzTrac system is as good as most retrofits, but the BMDC Boards are not cheap so it would be good to know it anything else is wrong before throwing lots of money at it

If you do a retro fit, you could get good money for the X Y Z motors Drives & the electronics that are left, this should cover a large amount of the retro fit
    Mactec54

Thanks for the replies - if any of you have a spare BMDC that you would sell could you shoot me a PM with your info on it

Thanks
    David

Electro-Mechanical Integrators,