585,712 active members*
3,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Older industrial VFD (Allen-Bradley) to CNC controller?

Older industrial VFD (Allen-Bradley) to CNC controller?

Hi,

In the planning phase for a CNC build. A friend has a line on older used industrial VFD's for a really good price (photo attached). Is something like this compatible with modern CNC controllers? From what I've heard with the Huanyang VFD's it's best to avoid them if you can afford it. Sounds like these are burly and last forever. The heat sink alone is massive. This one in particular is somewhere around 3.3 kW, which is bigger than I need but still cheaper than a cheap new one anyway.

Secondarily, how hard is wiring this kind of thing up? I've done some basic circuit design of PID controllers, relays, etc, but am by no means an expert. The guy who has a stash of these is also willing to do the install, though I assume I'd be on my own for the actual CNC controller interface.

Cheers,

Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200408_093715.jpg   IMG_20200408_093808.jpg   IMG_20200408_093813.jpg  

Re: Older industrial VFD (Allen-Bradley) to CNC controller?

They are well made VFD's Way better than Huanyang.
    Just ensure it will take 1phase, you should be able to get the manual from the AB site.
    What is the Model No? Looks like an older version, the only issue is the capacitor bank if it has been in disuse for some time.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks. I'm not sure on this model number, and it sounds like this guy has a stash he purchased of surplus VFD's so the model may not necessarily be the same for whatever is available now as this particular one.

Those older VFDs are not much different from modern ones - just bigger, heavier, uglier and (originally) much more expensive. Should work just fine for a CNC machine.

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula View Post
    Hi,

In the planning phase for a CNC build. A friend has a line on older used industrial VFD's for a really good price (photo attached). Is something like this compatible with modern CNC controllers? From what I've heard with the Huanyang VFD's it's best to avoid them if you can afford it. Sounds like these are burly and last forever. The heat sink alone is massive. This one in particular is somewhere around 3.3 kW, which is bigger than I need but still cheaper than a cheap new one anyway.

Secondarily, how hard is wiring this kind of thing up? I've done some basic circuit design of PID controllers, relays, etc, but am by no means an expert. The guy who has a stash of these is also willing to do the install, though I assume I'd be on my own for the actual CNC controller interface.

Cheers,

Brian
    It will depend what you want to run with it as it may not be suitable if you want to run a high speed spindle normally these old drive are fine for a regular 3Ph Ac motor 50/60 Hz

Being used for reliability they will want the Caps changed
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    Those older VFDs are not much different from modern ones - just bigger, heavier, uglier and (originally) much more expensive. Should work just fine for a CNC machine.
    Yeah, some of the older versions were a little over-engineered.
    I have some Telemecanique that were specifically built for 1ph and they are still working like a charm.
    And yes $$$$.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It will depend what you want to run with it as it may not be suitable if you want to run a high speed spindle normally these old drive are fine for a regular 3Ph Ac motor 50/60 Hz

Being used for reliability they will want the Caps changed
    Can you elaborate on the issues with high speed spindles? Based on the materials and tools I'll be using this will be a quite rigid router with a high speed spindle.

What is the model #?
    You can most likely find the manual on the AB Rockwell site still.
    If you have one, check to see if the VFD can be set to 400Hz.
    Al

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula View Post
    Can you elaborate on the issues with high speed spindles? Based on the materials and tools I'll be using this will be a quite rigid router with a high speed spindle.
    The spindles require 300Hz and 400Hz depending on what spindle you get your VFD Drive most likely will not support 400Hz
    Mactec54