584,837 active members*
5,384 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Should you put grease on a timing belt?

Should you put grease on a timing belt?

Before you answer the question, I will let you know that I did put grease on my timing belts and it quietened them down, and everything seems to be running ok.

I am now suspecting that I am going to be told that I shouldnt do so. What are the reasons that I shouldnt, or doesnt it matter?

Because they'll get filled with dust, and be very hard to clean. (If your cutting wood or similar materials.)
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

No grease required.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Belts are not designed to be lubricated either with oil nor with grease. You are most probably damaging their properties and shortening their lifetime.
    If they were very noisy, did you check whether they were tensioned correctly?

Belts that are old will tend to dry out causing them to be noisy, you may have bought them new but they could have been on the shelf for years. If they are a type of rubber, what I have done with great success over many years is to clean them with brake fluid and wipe dry, this softens the rubber ever so slightly making for quieter running. You do not need or want to soak them just wipe them down and wipe off. A little bit of precaution is in order here, be very careful they are wiped dry before spinning as just a little flick of brake fluid in the eye causes a lot of pain and a little bit on paint will make the paint soft.

EDIT: Works on wiper blades as well

Ken

Thanks guys I will clean them off. When I said noisy, I was probably been fussy, they werent that bad.

A little bit of precaution is in order here, be very careful they are wiped dry before spinning as just a little flick of brake fluid in the eye causes a lot of pain and a little bit on paint will make the paint soft.
    Not to mention if you store pool chlorine close by. These two ingredients, make lots of fire. (flame2)