585,763 active members*
4,437 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Madcam 4th and 5th axis

Madcam 4th and 5th axis

Madcam now has 4th and 5th axis indexing. The 4th axis is automatic indexing.

The 5th axis requires the user to manually set the angles but automatic indexing is in the plans.

4 and 5 axis continous is in the plans as well but no time line has been discussed as to a potential release date.

This update is for Madcam 4 and is a free upgrade.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

5-axis Cam: yea baby......

Quote Originally Posted by turmite View Post
    Madcam now has 4th and 5th axis indexing. The 4th axis is automatic indexing.

The 5th axis requires the user to manually set the angles but automatic indexing is in the plans.

4 and 5 axis continous is in the plans as well but no time line has been discussed as to a potential release date.

This update is for Madcam 4 and is a free upgrade.

Mike
    I didn't know this was here................someone should have told me.....hhaha

Question A little advice?

Just starting to learn to do 4 and 5 axis work, I'm stuck on what is probably a very simple point..!

Can somebody tell me how the rotary table and trunnion table shown in the demo videos on the MadCAM site are executed - do I draw them myself to match my machine? That would be no problem, but how does one get them to rotate properly with the part being cut?

I'm looking forward to the continuous 4 and 5 axis release, and wanting to get to grips with this so I can take advantage of it

Many thanks,

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason3 View Post
    Just starting to learn to do 4 and 5 axis work, I'm stuck on what is probably a very simple point..!

Can somebody tell me how the rotary table and trunnion table shown in the demo videos on the MadCAM site are executed - do I draw them myself to match my machine? That would be no problem, but how does one get them to rotate properly with the part being cut?

I'm looking forward to the continuous 4 and 5 axis release, and wanting to get to grips with this so I can take advantage of it

Many thanks,

Jason
    Hi Jason,

What version are you using? The reason I ask, there is a new release about to come, but I don't have a date as of now. I can tell you however that the continous is in development now, so maybe it won't be too much longer.

Are you using your different planes to rotate the part for machining? I would need to have an idea how you are trying to get this to work before I will be able to be much help.

Mike

Smile Only just starting!

Hi Mike, thank you for the quick reply!

I'm using the Nov. 01 2008 release, I'm pretty sure thats the latest.

I've been setting the plane to the part as in the 5 axis video, I'm sorry I can't recall the name of the command, but it's the one that sets it to the face of the object.

Everything appears to be working fine, I would just like to be able to see the rotary/trunnion table for visual feedback, so I can assure myself I'm not going to inadvertently machine them... I will see if I can get a screen shot or two to help me explain myself more clearly

Many thanks,

Jason

ahhh, now I understand.

I talked with Joakim yesterday about 30 minutes and we discussed this. I understood that it will be a feature in the second release from now, which is supposed to contain the continous 4/5. You will be able to model your tool holder, collet, spindle etc, as well as either your trunion table and or 4/5 head in about any configuration you can think of. This is more for collision detection than simulation. I don't even remember if we talked about simulation since the concern was about collision.

I will tell you now that we have a very experienced 4/5 axis user on this side of the water that has been unbelievable with troubleshooting, suggestions, etc for the upcoming release and the one after. I have made a trade for a 4/5 head so I hope within a couple of months I am in full swing testing the full potential of Madcam.

Now as to your current problem. Have you tried to use boundries to contain the tool paths so that you will not cut your trunion?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jason3 View Post
    Hi Mike, thank you for the quick reply!

I'm using the Nov. 01 2008 release, I'm pretty sure thats the latest.

I've been setting the plane to the part as in the 5 axis video, I'm sorry I can't recall the name of the command, but it's the one that sets it to the face of the object.

Everything appears to be working fine, I would just like to be able to see the rotary/trunnion table for visual feedback, so I can assure myself I'm not going to inadvertently machine them... I will see if I can get a screen shot or two to help me explain myself more clearly

Many thanks,

Jason

Can't wait!

Hi Mike,

Well, I'm sure looking forward to that release now! That will be very nice to be able to 'see' the result before committing it to the machine. I'm sure that once I gain some 4/5 axis experience then I'll be able to be more confident, but for now it seems a mistake could be costly even in a dry run if say, the trunnion hits the spindle

I haven't tried boundaries, no. I'm not familiar with that one, but before I ask 'how', I'll have another look.

I must admit, I've really only scratched the surface with this. I think your advice in the 'How do you use Rhino' thread is very good - I'm sure it would be well worth investing the time needed to learn how to use the software properly. I'll take a couple of days this coming week to dive into it and see what I can produce, then I'll no doubt have some more questions.

Incidentally, I'm also trying the Mac version of Rhino - if Joakim was to port MadCAM over it'd be the only Cad/Cam package I'm aware of for Macs - there must surely be some value (and sales) in that. I'm aware that many in the industry have no desire to swap to a Mac, but it seems to be a big unfilled gap in the market. My personal choice would be using a Mac over a PC. I did mention it to him a while back, and he was very interested on doing a Mac version, but said he'd have to wait until the SDK was released. For me it would mean I would only need to maintain one high-end computer instead of two...

Many thanks for your help,

Jason