584,829 active members*
5,059 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Path to choose...CNCRP Pro 48 x 48

Looking to get the 48x48 CNC Pro. I mainly mill 6061 sheet aluminum that is less than 0.060 thick but would like to do other things in the future. I'm trying to decide whether I should go all stock with PnP or do I get the frame, rails, and Z axis and then do my own with steppers/servos, motion controller, spindle etc. I make aluminum parts as a hobby business for experimental aircraft currently using a K2CNC 25x14 so I would be in no rush and could continue to make parts.

For those that took this route, any regrets? What would you recommend for servos, motion controller, software, spindle etc? I use Cambam and Mach3 currently.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Path to choose...CNCRP Pro 48 x 48

It took me a while to determine what would be best for my long term goals to get the machine I wanted for what I am and will be making. I opted for a 5x5' Pro Avid kit, Centroid Acorn with Wireless MPG, Clear Path Servos, and CNC Depot S30C spindle with ATC. More work and more $$ out of the gate, but the ATC and added power/accuracy of the servos will reduce the overall time compared to my current process. The larger bed will allow for multiple fixtures for my parts, and allow me to clamp the outside of 4' wide sheets.

I have been using arduino based CNCs for a few years and have observed the issues in the forums of the different brands of controllers and software interfaces. For the level of work I want to achieve the Centroid Acorn was a better choice for me over Mach 4 and ESS. ]

Take the time and determine what you like, dislike, and wish you had from your current system, then list them out and see what fits your needs.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have this up and running yet? I would be interested in knowing how difficult it was to accomplish putting that set up together and working out the kinks. I was also thinking Centroid Acorn and clearpath or DMM servos. The S30C spindle looks really nice.

Mike

I am currently working on the electronics. For me this is not complicated since I've been in telecom for 30+ years. Gary Campbell also sells assembled controller & motor kits and is reasonable in his pricing and has great support. I think the Clearpath motors are easier to set up than the DMM's and overall cost for both systems is about the same. I'm still waiting for the CNCRP kit to arrive. I ordered it just before the COVID stay at home orders. Fortunately I am not in any rush or have any pending deadlines to meet.

I did the Pro 48X48 machine with Gary Campbell providing all the electronics and Acorn.
    It's been operational about a month now, and to date I am happy with the machine, both mechanical and electronics.
    Support during the build and after has been better that I could have thought possible, from both Avid and Gary.
    Emailing Gary on the weekend expecting an answer on Monday, and he answered right away.
    I am still learning the Vectric software, the machine has been running very good.

I got the 4824 Pro machine with Avid's electronics, NEMA 23, and stock spindle, plus Mach 4. Works very well. Not sure why all the hate on Mach 4, to me it seems like a good software.

If I were to do it again, I'd get Avid leg support (I made my own from steel, but the frictional dampening of the 8020 legs would be superior, I think).

I cut 1/8" 6061 with ease at 12500 RPM at 65-70 ipm, with 2 flute 1/4" bit.

I did the Avid Pro6060 and their leg kit, with DMM Dyn 2 drives, DMM Nema 34 servos and an Acorn controller. I harkened back to my days as an ATR2 in the Navy during Nam and all the wiring I've done on my '68 Camaro resto-mod to build the controller and spindle control boxes. I wanted to get away from Mach. If you go this route do a careful materials list and research what you'll need - I overbought. For example I have separate circuit breakers for each of my drives. I thought that was a waste, but if I fault a drive, I can flip the circuit breaker to reset the drive without cycling and re-homing the Acorn. So some serendipitous "mistakes." The biggest mystery for me was wiring inside the controller enclosure. I ended up with a Ungra 2.2KW spindle (the one Avid sells) and an Automation Direct GS3 VFD. Pay attention to grounds, noise suppression and keeping high AC voltage away from low DC stuff if you assemble your own electronics.