585,679 active members*
5,771 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New to forum. Looking for advice.

Hello everyone! I'm about to pull the trigger on an AVID CNC Desktop Pro 2x3 router for my garage/workshop at home. I'm interested in using four NEMA 34 servo motors, specifically the Teknic CPM-SDSK-3411S-ELS. Anyone have experience with these? I'm trying to determine all the components that I'll need to make running these possible starting with a naked AVID CNC Desktop Pro router. I'm planning to use the S30C Turnkey ATC Spindle package from CNC Depot. Thanks in advance!

Re: New to forum. Looking for advice.

Heya! I have a bench top pro with clearpath servos and a custom electronics box I built. You might consider joining the avid cnc Facebook group. This question comes up every few weeks and I even posted the parts list for my build recently. A quick search there would yield lots of info for you!

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. I don't have a FB account, and I really don't want one. Any chance you'd be willing to send me your parts list?

I hear ya... FB is bad news for many reasons though sadly there's a lot of info there you're asking about.

At any rate hope this helps....
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...OtfFg/htmlview

First off, thank you. I'm overwhelmed. You literally built this from scratch. I'm floored, and completely lost. Do you have a build log for this? Ok, I'm going to make a FB page. I see the main Avid CNC page. Is that the one?

No build log/page. With enough research you can figure it out but to be honest if you don't have a basis of understanding on power, switching, relays, signal and power distribution, etc there will be a ton to learn here. Not trying to insult you... Just to state its a large project and very large if the fundamentals are also new!

Yes, I think that's the forum.

Hi,
    Clearpath servos are good quality, very simple to set up and have good backup but they are expensive for what you get.

Delta (Taiwanese made in China) and DMM (Canadian made in China) are good quality, have good backup and good set up and tuning software
    at very fair prices.

You can get a 750W B2 series Delta servo/drive/cables for less ($438USD) than a 350W Clearpath (CPM-SDSK-3426D , $489USD).
    The Delta has a vastly superior encoder (160,000 count/rev vs 800), vastly more IO (8 out, 6 in, plus 2 analogue out, plus encoder out verses 1 digital out),
    vastly better control modes (step/dir, CW/CCW, quadrature, analogue speed and torque modes, mixed pulse/analogue, indexed speed/position verses step/dir/CW/CCW/quadrature position
    modes only). Clearpaths require a high current DC supply, 70VDC reccommended. A Delta drive connects direct to 230VAC supply, so no DC supply required.

There are even cheaper Chinese made AC servos, and while I have no complaints about quality, the documentation is crap, backup questionable, and most damning of the lot,
    no set up and tuning software. You have to program them by pushing buttons like a microwave....avoid like the plague!!!

Servos, even cheap ones, are expensive, so do your research well. If you choose wisely you will get years or satisfaction from them and they'll even hold their value should you ever
    decide to sell. There are other brands which are just plain over-priced and underperform....no matter how good they claim to be.

Craig

Craig I totally agree with a lot of what you said but I don't get the impression the OP is ready to dive in to the level of complexity that the other options entail and given the AVID's construction as an example, it's hard to weigh having more than 6400 steps per Rev, as an example, on the clearpath, which is already way lower than even the flex and backlash on such a machine!
    Again, I agree with your comments... But my personal option is that for the novice, their are a lot of benefits to clearpath and for marginally more money.

Hi,

their are a lot of benefits to clearpath and for marginally more money.
    Marginally more????? thats DOUBLE the power for approximately the same dollar value. There is nothing marginal about double.

it's hard to weigh having more than 6400 steps per Rev,
    Clearpath have two encoders, their standard encoder is 800 count per rev and you have to pay extra for the 6400 count/rev encoder.

Clearpaths are AC servos, Deltas are AC servos.......they are about as complex as each other. Teknics have gone to a lot of trouble to
    make Clearpaths as simple as possible but only at the expense of a huge loss in IO and control modes.....do you really want to pay more
    and get way less?

Craig