584,817 active members*
4,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > HPR comunication protocol can be used from another source?

Question HPR comunication protocol can be used from another source?

Hello guys , can anyone help me to design a comunication protocol for the HPR series of hypertherm? I have a brand new HPR 260 , but also have an old 6x 2 meters plasma machine. the question is , I don´t want to buy the hypertherm comand , the old one is quite good with servos and all its features. How can I use the " CNC Communication Protocol EtherCAT® Commands and RS-422 Serial/Discrete Signals for the XPRTM Cutting System , directly from my computer? Maybe using an arduino or directly from my computer?

Re: HPR comunication protocol can be used from another source?

To control HPR machines fully, you will need a combination of CAM and control software. This is required since the features like True Hole need to be activated at Gcode level. For example, during cornering, it can lower the amperage automatically.
    You can try to use the serial command with PC or arduino control software, and use sheetcam rule to post additional gcode required

Re: HPR comunication protocol can be used from another source?

I'm not really familiar with the HPR260 but it sounds like it is designed to drop into a CNC controller with servo drives controlled by Ethercat which runs over ethernet. The real issue is that you need real time control and you won't get that out of an Arduino. HAve a look at the Bekhof sebsite for more info.

The only way you might get it hooked up is via LInuxCNC as it will support ethercat. However, it would be a long road becasue the Hypertherm protocol would need a custom driver to be written and that is generally beyond the average hobbiest or machine shop owner.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au