585,556 active members*
3,376 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > drawing a lathe part on the right plain

drawing a lathe part on the right plain

I am trying to draw a lathe part and for the life of me ,i can not get that little cube thingy to be were its supposed to be on the z,x plane and then when i start sketch it changes to something else .
    It is driving me crazy ,i watched some vid's but they always start out with some model and do not show what to do from the start .

Re: drawing a lathe part on the right plain

Do you have the "Axis up" set correctly in your "Preferences" for how you are wanting to work, "Z axis up" will have the orientation cube showing the Blue arrow for the Z pointing upwards and the "Y axis up" will have the Green arrow for the Y pointing upwards.
    When you come to the "Manufacture" stage then you will set the orientation in the "Setup" to suit your machine layout.

For a Lathe (Assuming a standard layout) you would either sketch in the X axis by selecting the X in your "Origin" or do a sketch half of the shape from the top view and then use the "Revolve" function to create your model.
    See attached file for a basic example, run through the timeline to see how it was done

Regards
    Rob

Thank you Engine Guy ,that showed me exactly what i needed to know and was very helpful,i was able to make your example real easy and now i understand the interface a little better i was trying to do the machine orientation the sketch area .

Glad it helped, one small tip for using Fusion 360 is to always use solid modelling as much as possible, it is what they call "model driven" and doing lots of sketches in the Design Mode also make files much larger and unwieldy.
    In the "Manufacture" mode selection for toolpathing is mostly done by selecting edges and faces of the model, not sketches, only use those when you have to

Regards
    Rob