584,842 active members*
4,184 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Auto Tool Changer > I built my own ATC Tool Carousel, would anyone be interested in me open sourcing it?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: I built my own ATC Tool Carousel, would anyone be interested in me open sourcing

Quote Originally Posted by phomann View Post
    Not sure I understand. Linux is an operating system, Lua is a programming language. You can’t substitute one for the other.

I agree that selling plans is probably the better way to go.

Cheers

Peter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It was not programed in Lua originally and it was running on Linux and windows
    Mactec54

Re: I built my own ATC Tool Carousel, would anyone be interested in me open sourcing

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It was not programed in Lua originally and it was running on Linux and windows
    I wouldn't be surprised. I get the feeling the company isn't owned by a software developer. It was like they hired somebody to write Mach4.

I also (with my 35 years of intuition) think who the guy they hired quit on them. The person they brought in to finish the software has a clashing style so you can feel where the one guy left off and the other guy started.

Anyways, I have made huge progress in stability and safety for the system under Mach4. I will check into the other software because this tooling system will work with all DIY CNC machines.

Quote Originally Posted by subnoize View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised. I get the feeling the company isn't owned by a software developer. It was like they hired somebody to write Mach4.

I also (with my 35 years of intuition) think who the guy they hired quit on them. The person they brought in to finish the software has a clashing style so you can feel where the one guy left off and the other guy started.

Anyways, I have made huge progress in stability and safety for the system under Mach4. I will check into the other software because this tooling system will work with all DIY CNC machines.
    Good to know what you found with the software

That may be correct, I have met all the guys involved with Mach4 and I don't think anyone had left or quit, but who knows that could of happened, one of the main software guys used to work for Galil hence the plugin for Galil
    Mactec54

Cool Re: I built my own ATC Tool Carousel, would anyone be interested in me open sourcing

Well! Good news. I have "safe'd" the code more than I thought I could. There is some weirdness in Lua that if you don't ask for things in a very specific way it tends to just ignore you. If anyone is really technical and would like to discuss I am happy to chat or do a webinar on the topic.

I have now added an automatic dust shoe with height adjustable for each tool. The tool measuring script works great, sped it up considerably without losing accuracy. The goal is to eventually get the dust shoe to adjust to the tool offset but right now its just a value that sets the height for each tool. I would love to make it a offset in the truest sense where the shoe adjust to the tool offset and then the dust shoe offset says either higher or lower than that.

I need to print an Arduino case because I had to fly one out to the Z axis for the dust shoe control. It runs the actuator for the shoe. It listens for M3, M4 and M5 codes. M3 and M4 it lowers to the tool defined dust shoe position. On M5 it retracts to the safe position. In the future I will probably need to either up the speed of the actuator or I will need to get an actuator where I can read the position.

I hope to have the system to a state where I can video it doing its thing this weekend. I can't believe it has been a year in development :-(

Sounds Great Subnoize...looking forward to the video and getting everything working...

For me the Dust Shield would only be used when cutting Particle Board on the CNC router...the Hurco
    would not need it...

Best Regards,

Preston

Quote Originally Posted by PrestonSMA View Post
    Sounds Great Subnoize...looking forward to the video and getting everything working...

For me the Dust Shield would only be used when cutting Particle Board on the CNC router...the Hurco
    would not need it...

Best Regards,

Preston
    I have no idea why they moved my post to metal working machines when my machine is clearly a wood, foam and non-ferrous metals machine.

How do you move it back? Dunno. Whoever moved it needs to be spanked.

All metalworking machine I have have access too have a tool changer integrated much less a dust shoe

You are in This Area as it is for ATC's...

Best Regards,

Preston

did you end up open sourcing.posting the design somewhere?, just purchased an ATC, would love to build one of these instead of loosing a huge part of my small CNC's build area

either way thanks for posting your efforts, gets the creative juices going on which helps as a starting point for us novices, good luck

Nice ATC Tool Carousel
    A lot of tools I buy all around but that idea is genius with 3D printing parts.
    I usually grab parts from library to produce them or custom made by myself. If we already talking above parts I usually take paid parts don't like free ones because of code and respect to someone who sketches this with hard work. And the best part of this is that people in the life time they accept Crypto payments all kind of them or exchange so I am not worried any more how to pay them even if bank do not allow transaction that crypto payment is asom. Enough of that back to the molding. is it possible to make tool graber in 2 layers for switching tool without problem? I mean to maximize process of working without stoping machine even if ther is not enough space for tools?

Update 2022:

There are 3 things to consider going forwards;

1. Releasing plans for the tool carousel is futile. Everyone has a different machine and you would have to spend the time to figure it out on your machine anyways. Thankfully this is actually the easiest part!
    2. Tool carousels are for the most part adding another axis and homing sensor to your existing machine. If you have the space in your control box, add another axis and sensor and be done with it! Don't over complicate things!
    3. If you DO NOT have the space for an extra axis then you "may" be interested in my project for the controller software BUT any ModBus Axis controller will work. You can get them cheap on Amazon.

That said, what I do have complete and in final testing stages is a fully retracting ATC Tool Carousel for the AvidCNC PRO60120. It does NOT require the extended gantry but it does give more room to play with.

Here are the features of "ATC-10 for the AvidCNC PRO60120" as we are calling it;

1. Laser cut components with some parts 3D Printed as a cost saving measure
    2. Complete self contained electronics package with ModBus over TCP/IP as the comms protocol
    3. Safety sensors for pneumatic ATCs, both running pressure and drawbar pressure (reduces wear and tear on your spindle when you forget to turn the compressor on)
    4. Shortest route, prompt and pause for tools not currently on the carousel (infinite tools with only 10 slots!)
    5. Retractable carousel leaves your full work envelope available for most sheet stock
    6. Fully automated dust shoe option will be available

TImeline for availability is April 2022.

For the record, a great American made rotary axis to use for your own carousel is the Sherline PN3700 CNC here: https://www.sherline.com/product/370...-rotary-table/

Somebody asked if these means I will not support other machines and I apologize if it sounded like that!

I just want to focus for the first kit on a single machine. If I have the complete kit ready then I can start my next project.

This has turned into a 3 year project with COVID and all so I just want "v1" in the bag so then I can focus on expanding to more popular machines.

Sorry for the confusion.

I have photos come soon of the system so stay tuned!

Somebody asked if these means I will not support other machines and I apologize if it sounded like that!

I just want to focus for the first kit on a single machine. If I have the complete kit ready then I can start my next project.

This has turned into a 3 year project with COVID and all so I just want "v1" in the bag so then I can focus on expanding to more popular machines.

Sorry for the confusion.

I have photos come soon of the system so stay tuned!

I just ordered an AVID Pro 4896 with the extend gantry. I was planning on running two spindles but after doing some digging I ran across CNCDepot's ATC spindle option for AVID. Would your carousel work mounted on the gantry? I understand that I would have to fabricate my own mounting system along with some coding changes,

Quote Originally Posted by Ami Creations View Post
    I just ordered an AVID Pro 4896 with the extend gantry. I was planning on running two spindles but after doing some digging I ran across CNCDepot's ATC spindle option for AVID. Would your carousel work mounted on the gantry? I understand that I would have to fabricate my own mounting system along with some coding changes,
    I would recommend the CNCDepot spindles. I have a S30C and it's been solid. Customer service is always personal and pretty quick. I don't think Alex ever sleeps.

I have designed a vertical system for the U axis on my machine but it gets really complicated mechanically which is where the weight comes in. Just something like 10 tools is too heavy so you ended up with 5 or even 3 tools in the end.

And!! You don't want it to stick out horizontally from the gantry either! That acts like a lever and can cause serious issues and may even shorten the life of your bearings.

What put a nail in the coffin for me is these 8020 machines are not very rigid. They ring like a bell when given the chance and those frequencies show up as weird marks in the side walls you are cutting. I couldn't see having two spindles on these machines. You would have not been happy with that setup. A plasma cutter is just about all that can really be on that second head. Even then I often think about dumping that second head and see if that cuts down on the ringing.

I have no idea how much room is available at the end of your machine but the only working solution I have found is a sliding carousel. I have the prototype on my machine now as well as a brush rack for the dust shoe (which is mounted on the gantry). No sense in having an ATC if you have to pause and pull off the brush from the dust shoe before each tool change, right?

The software is moving along much better this time than last. I have an April deadline to start releasing parts. At this point I have a couple of tweaks I would like to make in the mechanics but the system is performing solidly. I could use what I have and be happy with it.

DM your contact info to me and I can start updating you along with the others. In the mean time, set up posts for your tools. The reduction in envelope is worth it.

Good Evening,

I have a general question. I have to s30c on my avid. Right now I am going to set up a tool rack in the back for now and eventually upgrade to your system in the future. My question is how hard is it to program the machine to remove the dust boot before tool change. I haven’t really found any great info about this, and was hoping you could point me in the right direction.

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Good Evening,

I have a general question. I have to s30c on my avid. Right now I am going to set up a tool rack in the back for now and eventually upgrade to your system in the future. My question is how hard is it to program the machine to remove the dust boot before tool change. I haven’t really found any great info about this, and was hoping you could point me in the right direction.

Thank you!

Update 2022:

There are 3 things to consider going forwards;

1. Releasing plans for the tool carousel is futile. Everyone has a different machine and you would have to spend the time to figure it out on your machine anyways. Thankfully this is actually the easiest part!
    2. Tool carousels are for the most part adding another axis and homing sensor to your existing machine. If you have the space in your control box, add another axis and sensor and be done with it! Don't over complicate things!
    3. If you DO NOT have the space for an extra axis then you "may" be interested in my project for the controller software BUT any ModBus Axis controller will work. You can get them cheap on Amazon.

That said, what I do have complete and in final testing stages is a fully retracting ATC Tool Carousel for the AvidCNC PRO60120. It does NOT require the extended gantry but it does give more room to play with.

Here are the features of "ATC-10 for the AvidCNC PRO60120" as we are calling it;

1. Laser cut components with some parts 3D Printed as a cost saving measure
    2. Complete self contained electronics package with ModBus over TCP/IP as the comms protocol
    3. Safety sensors for pneumatic ATCs, both running pressure and drawbar pressure (reduces wear and tear on your spindle when you forget to turn the compressor on)
    4. Shortest route, prompt and pause for tools not currently on the carousel (infinite tools with only 10 slots!)
    5. Retractable carousel leaves your full work envelope available for most sheet stock
    6. Fully automated dust shoe option will be available

TImeline for availability is April 2022.
    Dude! I just got a PRO60120 and bought a cncdepot spindle (waiting for shipment), now I need (want) the tool carousel Please tell me that you've gotten this wrapped up? Very interested in aquiring/making this project!

Page 2 of 2 12