585,712 active members*
4,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Loosing steps

Mach3, ESS Smoothstepper, C25S BOB, Gecko G251x driver, Windows 10, The PC is connected to WIFI.

I am having a intermittent problem with lost steps, The lost steps have always coming from the Y slave driver to the left side Y stepper motor.

If I switch the cables to the steppers, (please see drawing) and send the Y slave driver output to the right side stepper, the right side stepper starts loosing steps.

This looks like it isn't the stepper motor, or the stepper coupler.

What could be the cause of loosing steps????????

I was told by a friend to run the steppers slower because I was always loosing steps, so the next day I ran the below test It ran so well until later in the test, and I realize thet 200 IPM is extreme for me.

Here is some testing I have done at different speeds.
    Material 3/16" plywood, 1/8" single flute end mill, cutting 0.050" per pass, the letter outline I'm cutting is 12"x14"

Test 1 pass 60 IPM
    Test 2 pass 60 IPM
    Test 3 pass 75 IPM
    Test 4 pass 75 IPM
    Test 5 pass 100 IPM
    Test 6 pass 125 IPM
    Test 7 pass 150 IPM
    Test 8 pass 175 IPM
    Test 9 fail 200 IPM Realign gantry
    Test 10 pass 75 IPM
    Test 11 pass 75 IPM
    Test 12 fail 75 IPM Gantry skew left 33" right 34 3/4"
    Stepper temperature left 170 F right 185
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Re: Loosing steps

Was unable to attach drawing to my question above sorry,

I had two issues with lost steps. (After I had to change out my original computer)
    First one was lost steps though the PP port, even though Mach3 reported my system's PP was satisfactory. The timings where fluctuating too much causing lost steps.
    The second, was EMF interference/grounding. If the lost steps are following that one particular line, I would check the grounding/shielding within it.
    Use shielded wires, and do some quick research on star point grounding.

Have you gone through your windows settings and disabled all the power saving/updating functions? These can cause lost steps as well.
    Having your dedicated CNC PC connected to the internet can cause problems as well. Disconnect wifi while running code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFrREKB-l4M
    My Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc_router_table_machines/113711-my_build_-_many_thanks.html

Thanks Mogal,
    I went through the Win 10 suggestions and made all those changes, I will put the PC and control panel on a dedicated circuit even separate from the router.
    Watched the grounding and I use a grounding strip that is connected to the Line plug ground. There’s a couple of them I don’t understand, I’ll rewatch the video.
    All the stepper control wires inside and outside the control panel are shielded and grounded at one end to the grounding strip.

The lost stepping problem is in the Y Slave cabinet connector and back to the driver and maybe further back in the BOB that’s unknown.

I have checked the continuity of that live and it has a solid signal without any shorts, is there anything else I need to look at in those wires?

In the morning I’ll set up a cut to cut six of the letters I have been cutting, but reduce the size to something like 6” rather than the 12” size the others were. I’ll keep all the cut parameters the same, but cut all at 75IPM. Any suggestions?

I’ll post how that comes out

Thanks
    Hager

Well the next morning came and I ran the test letter at a conservative 50 IPM many times all with success.
    Ran all the letters and each time the router returned perfectly to the X zero Y zero hole I drilled, so it’s all working.

I have to run a few other things while it’s running good. Not going pot change anything LOL.

Was wondering, I have been using these Gecko G251x drivers for over eleven years. And was thinking about upgrading them to a Gecko G 540. I’m thinking if I used the 540 and the ESS Smoothstepper I wouldn’t need the BOB. Just add a cable to one of the their SS ports out to a basic 25 pin connection point and run the Inputs and outputs from there, or am I missing something that I need my current BOB for?
    Thanks
    Hager

Glad you having it working without error now.
    Sorry, I can't help with the Geckos, as I don't use them. I auto Automation Technology steppers/drivers.
    I also use UCCNC now and it's so much better (to me) then Mach3 is/was.
    Good luck!
    My Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc_router_table_machines/113711-my_build_-_many_thanks.html