584,814 active members*
5,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Boss 5/6 short in Z-axis power

Have a Boss 5 Bridgeport (RigidRam) that is blowing fuse 17, which is the feed to the z-axis rectifier. After the rectifier are 2 capacitors and a resistor that that smooth out the rectifier output ( the capacitors) and dump the capacitor charge when the power is shut down ( the resistor). Right after the caps and resistor is fuse 14, which does not blow, telling me that everything down line from that fuse is OK (fuse 14 is 10 amps, fuse 17 is 15).

The caps, resistor, and rectifier all check out as good ( the caps and rectifier are out of the machine - royal PITA job!), which would lead me to believe that the line from fuse 17 to the rectifier is shorted, but so far it tests out OK - no connection to ground anywhere (tested with the wire unplugged from the rectifier).

However, while the resistor seems to check out OK ( by taking a reading from the correct terminals in the terminal block), I would like to look directly at the resister itself, but cannot find it in any of the manuals (lots of components are not shown in the manuals!).

Does anyone familiar with those controls know where that resistor is mounted? I would think that the resistors for all 3 axis would be grouped together.

Also, do you know what the SMS board controls? Have a broken ceramic resister there (z-axis again, as well as a blown fuse). Again, no mention of it in the manuals!

Re: Boss 5/6 short in Z-axis power

Well, I figured out what the SMS board does ( dampens back emf if an axis stops abruptly), so that has nothing to do with this fuse blowing. With everything checking out as good, my guess now is that a chip or some carbon dust was the culprit ( the machine gets used a lot to machine carbon/carbon brake pads), so it's time to put it all back together and see if the problem has gone away.

Still cannot find those resistors!

i have a couple of the rigid ram boss' and a couple of the boards left if you need them.. for the most part gutted the controls to upgrade them

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    i have a couple of the rigid ram boss' and a couple of the boards left if you need them.. for the most part gutted the controls to upgrade them
    Thanks. Have quite a few spares of all the drive boards already, most left over from the sister machine that eventually will get the Mach 1 control on it that has been here for 5 years, and once that one is up and running, this one will get converted as well.

So, no one knows where those particular resistors are located?