584,833 active members*
5,509 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > PlanetCNC > Foam Cutting with 4Axis controller and MK3/4 controller and TNG software

Foam Cutting with 4Axis controller and MK3/4 controller and TNG software

Good day all. Has anyone used the TNG software and PlanetCNC MK3/4 4 axis controller to drive a 4 Independent axis foam cutter? By independent I mean that each axis moves seperately,allowing the cutting of complex profiles such as cones, tapers, aircraft wings, etc.
    I do not find reference to this mode in any of the reference docs of the product or software. The foam cutting videos on the web site also only show 2 axis slaved mode it would appear.

Thanks
    Joe

Re: Foam Cutting with 4Axis controller and MK3/4 controller and TNG software

Our first controller, many years ago, was designed primarily for foam cutting complex shapes such as aircraft wings, fuselages,... Here is a video from that time:

Today TNG fully supports all types of foam cutting machines. It is also possible to visualize and simulate hot wire position hot wire and see 3D object on display.

I recommend using axes X and Y for one tower U and V for second tower. If you have rotating plate then use C axis (this is 5th axis and Mk3 controller is needed).

There is "HotWire.nc" file in samples folder that I use to cut 1200mm wingspan flying wing for slope.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flywng.jpg  

Thank You very much for your answer! That is perfect! I too have been using Profili for some years now, with MACH3 and PC with parallel ports. That has worked perfectly for me, but the PC is old, XP no longer supported, etc. So I need to move either to MACH4 and external motion controller, or try something more modern! It seem your hardware and software will do the job!
    One other question - Is it possible to add more than one MPG to the system? On my current MACH3 system, I have one MPG per axis and I find it very convenient - much easier than first selecting the axis to jog, then jog, then next axis, etc. Especially on foam cutter..I use the method extensively when aligning the wire to the datum points, and aligning the foam to the wire as well.

Otherwise, I think this system will work well for me!

I have tried the TNG software as Demo but still do not succeed in getting the 4 axes of the wing Gcode file to work/display properly.
    I believe it is the format of my file ( axes allocation) - I am not sure where to find the sample file you refer to "hotwire,nc' - can you please direct me to where I can download it? Then I can perhaps see the format as required.
    Also, the image 'flywng.jpg' as seem in the TNG draw page - how did you set that up?? How are the Axes allocated - the image shows both root and tip of the wing - I only see one end, root, I believe, of my wing file...
    Can you give me some pointers as to how to set up TNG to display as you have in your jpg image. What you have shown there is precisely what I am looking for!

I do not find how to set up the TNG to use axes X, Y and U, V either..
    The version of the TNG demo software I am using is '2020-03-24' as downloaded form the PlanetCNC web site.

A sample of my file is attached - if interested.
    Thank you in advance!
    Joe

PlanetCNC uses axes X, Y U and V. Your g-code uses axes X, Y, A and B.
    I used find/replace to fix your code but this should be set in your code generator.

To visualize wing select "Foam Cutter" geometry preset in settings.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you Again! The file works fine. I have configured my CAM package to generate XYUV and that also works fine. The file visualizes well in TNG. In order to set the distance between the virtual towers in TNG I set the Z origin for XY at positive value and the Z origin for UV to negative value. This is then 'length' of the cutting wire I presume?
    My foam cutter is 1500 mm between towers, and the wing sample file is 600mm long. In my CAD software (PROFILI-2) I position the foam block centered between the two towers.Obviously the path followed by the wire at the left and right edge of the foam block is the correct path for the actual wing, while the path at the towers is much larger, etc... I realise this is not the task of the Machine Controller software, but is it possible in the 3D visualization to show only the wires 3D cut path over a specific length?. In other words to set the distance between towers to Z=750 and Z=-750mm, but to show the cut path over the region of the foam block only, ie, -300 to +300mm Z value?

It would be nice, but purely from a visualization viewpoint. It is not needed, as the system will cut the wing perfectly if the block is correctly placed.
    I am very impressed! It looks good, and the MMI is excellent. I have been evaluating this system and Centroid Acorn, to try and choose one, but the Centroid system cannot do it - Visualisation is impossible, and setup is only for MILL and Lathe, and A,B or U,V axis cannot be linear it seems..

I will initiate purchase of the PlanetCNC system ASAP!

really very impressed, and also with your excellent help and assistance - much better than the other product..!

Kind Regards
    Joe

I will consider adding this visualization improvements in the future.