585,557 active members*
3,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

"rescued" an old Gravograph LS500 XL

Hello All,

Either I did something stupid, or I did a good deal. Either way, what I did was buying an Gravograph LS500XL, which was stored (or dumped), in a moisty garage for about 6 years. The owner sold it to me including a ton of material to work with for about € 300. Not knowing if it would still run, I went for it anyway. I knew the chances are big it would no longer fire and the tube would need replacement or refilling. It's a Synrad metal tube, so it is high quality but chances are slim it survived that storing period.

Anyway

- At first startup it gave an end limit switch error which was quickly fixed (z-spring sensor was rusted and did no longer move).
    - Next I ran into a halt since it throws an "Defaut laser", machine is in french, but it means "Error (or fault) Laser".

With the machine came 4 diskette drives with software and a link cable, but like one of those old pin cables which non of my computers still have. So I need to look for an old pc to link to this machine. Now the main question is, does this machine recognise a depleted tube, or are there different things causing this issue (power supply for example). Getting the tube refilled would cost met € 1200. But I have never worked with the machine before so it might be wasted money if it still not run after doing that.

Any ideas on what I should do next to complete my "rescue" action on this machine?

Thanks!

Re: "rescued" an old Gravograph LS500 XL

I just obtained a very old LS500XL

As is for parts

Did u get urs working?

You can test voltages easy at power supply...48v and 30v...also pull out the board assembly and make sure all cables are connected.

Even with empty laser machine should still boot up to ready receive status

Mine does...

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby5041 View Post
    Even with empty laser machine should still boot up to ready receive status

Mine does...
    I posted this a while ago, in the meantime I managed to make it work. There was indeed a cable not connected to the driver board. Once hooked up, everything worked. I've been running this machine almost daily and really grew a business out of this old machine :-)

So all is good!

Kr,

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by KLucky13 View Post
    I posted this a while ago, in the meantime I managed to make it work. There was indeed a cable not connected to the driver board. Once hooked up, everything worked. I've been running this machine almost daily and really grew a business out of this old machine :-)

So all is good!

Kr,

Kenny
    What kind of business?
    Looking for ideas to play with to get more familiar with my 150w CO2 machine

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk