584,842 active members*
4,214 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PathPilot Question

Hey folks;
    Hopefully a simple question for those in the know. When PathPilot starts up which startup file does it look for meaning the Tormach_1100-3_specific.ini or the Tormach_1100-3.ini. I'm attempting to upgrade my Pro controls to PP 2.0 and looking at my history files I have a Tormach_1100-3.ini file that has been modified for the Torus Pro but the latest I have found has a file that I a Tormach_1100-3_specific.ini that points to a Novakon ini file that I just added with this upgrade. I don't think I need both the 1100-3 and the specific.ini files. Any ideas???
    Bill

Re: PathPilot Question

Bill, take a look at this post that Brian made regarding PP 2.0 and the Pulsar. See #8 might help. Not sure if this is the info you are looking for? Hopefully it helps.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/novak...on-pulsar.html

Quote from Brian's post:

" I'd figure I would start a new thread for folks trying to upgrade from 1.9.x to PP 2.0 - and here are my thoughts and what I went through:

1. I had to change my motherboard because PP 2.0 didn't like my GPU which was an old GeForce 610 (Old mobo didn't have built in video). I probably could have figured it out, but I am no linux guru and couldn't even see anything on the screen - it was totally garbled. I ended up buying an old Gigabyte GA-41 with built in video, and it worked without any trouble (I wanted to still use my old E2200 dual core pentium chip that I had been using). I doubt most people will need to do this.

2. Please use a separate SSD drive, and unplug your PP 1.9.x drive for obvious reasons. Backup all settings in PP 1.9 "admin settings backup" save to thumb drive. this saves all your offsets and stuff.

3. PP 2.0 installs pretty easily from the thumb drive.

4. To get to the desktop, the Left Shift-Alt keys are supposed to work (it says so in the PP 2.0 operator_login script) but I couldn't get mine to work. So I hit Ctrl-Alt X to get to a terminal prompt. Then type in "mate-panel" This is the new desktop in PP 2.0. gnome is not installed.

5. Next go to system preferences - startup applications and deselect the PathPilot. This prevents the auto start of PP. This is important because now if PP errors out, it shuts down the computer and takes a long time to fix each error.

6. PP 2.0 still runs from the "operator_login" script. If you click that and run "in terminal" like before then you can debug it more easily.

7. When debugging, in PP 1.9.x you could look at the terminal screen to find your errors, now the terminal screen closes, so you have to open the pathpilotlog.txt which is located in the gcode folder in log files folder.

8. Also in PP 2.0, if you edit the tormach_1100-3.ini then PP 2.0 will RE-WRITE it upon any error. So instead I created a "novakon_mill_base.ini" file. Then I edited the "tormach_1100-3_specific.ini" file to point to the novakon_mill_base.ini file. This tricks PP into using the novakon file to build the new ini file in case of an error. So all edits to the ini file should be to the novakon_mill_base file. If anything messes up, you can delete the tormach_1100-3.ini file and PP 2.0 will create a new one from the mill base file.

9. Everything else is pretty similar to before. I posted all my novakon files that should get you going on a Pulsar.

10. To install Dropbox in the MDI window type "Admin dropbox" and it will prompt you to set that up.

11. Restore your old settings by "admin settings restore" and this will import your old tool table and settings.

*Just a side note: I had to re-write the Charge Pump code in the hal file. I am not sure why the old code worked in PP 1.9 but didn't in 2.0. I used PCW_Mesa's example somewhere in linuxcnc forums and now the charge pump works fine **"

Re: PathPilot Question

Hey Steve;
    That is exactly the information I was looking for. Sad part is, I started this entire conversion effort after reading Brian's post earlier this year. Hell, guess I'm getting CRS!
    Many thanks again.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)