584,841 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Acramatic 2100 retrofit

I got my kflop, kanalog and konnect in the mail today. I am going to be retrofitting my A2100 control on my Mighty MV-40 while I am sitting around not doing much due to Corona lock downs. The machine still works but after having to replace a few 1500$ boards over the last 2 years I am ready to not have to rely on 1990's era consumer level PC hardware. I also have a small European 4th axis I picked up for a cheap and would like to be able to use.

This should theoretically be pretty straight forward as the original control is PC based and I have pin-outs for the I/O connectors; they are all 24v. I am however an electrical novice at best!

I am going to to hook everything up through terminal blocks using the original cables and wiring so that I can swap back and forth between the current control and the new one until it is as close to complete as I can get. This will also let me power the machine up and check voltages etc as I am going along.

I will likely be doing everything backwards from normal. All I/O will be first, followed by the servo drives and spindle.

All I managed to get done this evening was getting the power bus for the servos/spindle to turn on with the original control off.

Normally the power up operation is:
    Flip machine disconnect on which sends juice to the spindle/servo power supply
    Power on A2100 (it's on a separate power circuit to keep it off the phase converter)
    Once the control is powered up, push the machine power button to init the drives which send a ready signal to the control

Unfortunately he machine power buttons are enabled by the original control outside of the general I/O; that will all get replaced eventually but for now gets to be bypassed; fortunately the e-stop circuit still works.

I'll be very lucky if I don't fry anything before I am done!

Re: Acramatic 2100 retrofit

This is the I/O pinout. It looks like the original I/O card was switching a big bank of 24v socket type relays using 24v power brought in through the I/O connectors. Spent a bit of time trying to figure out how the limit and home circuit works, I had assumed they were wired in to the drives logic directly but they don't cut power with the drives powered up and ready. There is no wiring diagram in the machine manual for them unfortunately so more investigating! I have the power ready, drive ready and drive reset outputs hooked up to k-analog successfully so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a2100iopinout.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	441768
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a2100iopinout.jpg  

Figured out some other stuff by poking around "ProgramWare" on the A2100 control. All of the control logic resides in there, written in something that looks like BASIC, including I/O pins (though to my frustration the output side is not mapped to the physical pins, 16 of the pins are used for +- 24v inputs to the IO card). I located the main power button input pin, lube low alarm pin, the e-stop pin and some other stuff that has me scratching my head (index input?). I will try to write up the C code to make use of the primary power button and e-stop tomorrow .

New I/O pinout and the servo drive/spindle drive connections:

Name:	a2100iopinout.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	442010
    Attachment 442008

The servo and spindle drive connections are made via DE-15(VGA) connectors. The spindle appears to be driven via +-10v and has an encoder equivalent output. Assuming negative values are for reverse. The drive also has a synchronized motion mode, I am going to have to read the drive manuals to figure out how that works. I have a C-axis enable output pin and a C-axis acknowledge input pin in addition to spindle enable. The C axis in the control is mapped to the spindle and used in rigid tapping which I absolutely have to have working before pulling the old control out; I'm sure I will have some questions about that!

...what zipcode are you at 45223 ?

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...what zipcode are you at 45223 ?

DJ
    Columbus, 43227.

I got all of the code to emulate the way the A2100 powers up the system and handles the E-STOP, basically just went through programware on the A2100 and made kflop do the same thing in the same sequence. My X axis drifts very slowly when the physical drives get their enable signal even with no input; will have to figure that out. I have the software (motion link) for the drives so hopefully that wont be too hard to fix.

Tomorrow is wiring the limit switches. After that I can start playing with getting the servo motors moving. As the limit switches kill power to the servo motor power bus but aren't directly in the e-stop circuit I am going to have to emulate that directly for the time being, I think the placeholder code I put in will do that once I stick it in the forever loop. I have not programmed in C for a long time so this is all going to get pretty ugly before I am done!

It will be kind of cool to have 2 fully functioning controls temporarily. Just swap the DB50 I/O connectors and the DE-15 connectors from one to the other, power up and go.

This is my temporary C code to make kflop emulate the A2100 power and e-stop process. The e-stop kills the drive and spindle power directly and also feeds in to the control.
    Code:
    #include "KMotionDef.h"

#define ESTOP 1025
    #define POWER 1024
    #define PWRRDY  48
    #define AXISENABLE 49
    #define ZBRAKE 50
    #define LUBE 52
    /*#define xPos 33
    #define xNeg 34
    #define yPos 35
    #define yNeg 36
    #define zPos 37
    #define zNeg 38*/

main()
    {
        InitAux();
        AddKonnect_Aux0(0,&VirtualBits,VirtualBitsEx);

for (;;) // loop forever
                {
                    WaitNextTimeSlice(); // execute loop once every time slice

// Handle ESTOP

if  (!ReadBit(ESTOP))
            {
                if (ch0->Enable) DisableAxis(0);  // axis still enabled?  - Disable it
                if (ch1->Enable) DisableAxis(1);  // axis still enabled?  - Disable it
                if (ch2->Enable) DisableAxis(2);  // axis still enabled?  - Disable it

//Kill servo power
                ClearBit(PWRRDY);
                //Disable Physical Drive
                ClearBit(AXISENABLE);
                //Clear Z brake on/off? Relay is off with A2100 Control
                ClearBit(ZBRAKE);
                //Turn lube off, old control did this
                ClearBit(LUBE);

}

if  (ReadBit(POWER))
            {
                if(!ReadBit(PWRRDY))
                {
                //Turn on power to servos
                SetBit(PWRRDY);
                }
                //enable physical axis, turn on z brake,
                SetBit(AXISENABLE);
                SetBit(ZBRAKE);
                SetBit(LUBE);
                //enable kanalog axis

}

}   // end of forever loop

}

// limits to emulate A2100 limit switch process for now
    // A2100 performs same process as e-stop, hold main power button and jog off limits
    // to clear.
    void limitKillPower()
    {
        int xLPos = ReadBit(xPos);
        int xLNeg = ReadBit(xNeg);
        int yLPos = ReadBit(yPos);
        int yLNeg = ReadBit(yNeg);
        int zLPos = ReadBit(zPos);
        int zLNeg = ReadBit(zNeg);

if(xLPos || xLNeg || yLPos || yLNeg || zLPos || zLNeg)
        {
            //z brake
            //disable physical drive ready
            //disable drive power

}
    }

Hi cwatson1982,

My X axis drifts very slowly when the physical drives get their enable signal even with no input; will have to figure that out.
    You might read this article on drift in the wiki.
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Hi cwatson1982,

You might read this article on drift in the wiki.
    Thanks!

Unfortunately there should be no voltage at all going to the drive at this point on the +-10v connections I think. They are still plugged in to the old control and it has no power going to it when the drift is happening

On that note, I'm not real sure how the original control handles servo tuning. There are parameters in the control for jerk, acceleration, etc but also values directly in the drives (which have a kind of primitive auto tune function built in to them). I played with the drive autotune once and thought my machine was going to explode!

Hi cwatson1982,

Unfortunately there should be no voltage at all going to the drive at this point on the +-10v connections I think. They are still plugged in to the old control and it has no power going to it when the drift is happening
    Well as it says in the article analog signals are inherently imperfect so it is difficult (and unnecessary) to be able to command a speed of exactly zero. Without feedback it is better to disable the drives to assure no motion.

HTH
    TK

I got the limit switches wired up and coded and got the X axis moving. Unfortunately the servo tuning seems like it's going to be a lot to learn. I can't raise P above .5 without very severe motor resonance even at low velocities/accelerations. At .5 I can move up to (and a bit over) the values from the old control for velocity/accel/jerk. These are relatively big servos, direct driving 10mm pitch ball screws on a box way machine with 40x20x20 travels.

Hi cwatson1982,

If you post your settings and the plot data we might be able to help. Also your Axis resolution in counts/inch.
    TK

Hi cwatson1982,

If you post your settings and the plot data we might be able to help. Also your Axis resolution in counts/inch.
    If I got it right:
    Motors are 32768 counts per revolution (8192 lines), this is what was in the a2100 configuration. The motors have resolvers but the drives have and use an encoder equivalent output.
    Ballscrews are 10mm pitch so 0.3937?" per revolution and 0.000012" per encoder count?

I have:
    V = 554,871 (~400IPM)
    A = 5,000,000 (corresponding to 60in/s in the old control)
    J = 104,857,637

P = .6, I=0, D=0

Everything else is default.

Using step over a short distance, anything above that for P causes rapid oscillation at the end of the move. Same with using "move" over a larget distance with values corresponding to 400IPM

I will see if I can get a screen grab when I get home.

Hi cwatson1982,

Use the "Move" button not the "Step" button.

Display the Output also.

Include larger moves over longer times.

Also post your Config and IIR Filter Screens.

I get 83230.72 counts per inch. If you do a move of 832307.2 does it move 10inches?

Why the odd Jerk value? Use round numbers like 50e6.
    TK

Hi cwatson1982,

Use the "Move" button not the "Step" button.

Display the Output also.

Include larger moves over longer times.

Also post your Config and IIR Filter Screens.

I get 83230.72 counts per inch. If you do a move of 832307.2 does it move 10inches?

Why the odd Jerk value? Use round numbers like 50e6.
    Thanks! I believe I just copied and pasted out of the calculator for the jerk value (used the old control value). The count appears to be correct with what I have available to measure with.

here are a lot of screen caps. I loaded a backup file for the drive parameters which let me get up to .75 P

P=.75
    Attachment 442184
    Attachment 442186
    Attachment 442188
    Attachment 442190

P=1.2
    Attachment 442192

Position error
    Attachment 442194

Name:	4000positionerror.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	442196

Name:	400000PositionError.jpg 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	442198

Name:	axiscfg.jpg 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	442200

I haven't changed anything on the IIR screen yet.

Hi cwatson1982,

Please post the IIR Screen otherwise we have no idea what it is configured as.

If you do a move of 832307.2 does it move 10inches?

I see from your big moves of 600000 counts/sec about 60% of the output is used. So you could probably go up to 1000000 counts/sec.

The data appears somewhat noisy. If you save and attach the raw data we could zoom in and such as we wish. I suspect that is because of being based on resolvers and highly interpolated to simulate an encoder?

Overall things look reasonable for this stage so far in the tuning. You appear to be at Step 4 here.
    TK

Thanks Tom.

1000000 works if I turn the error limit up to 4000, it peaks at about 1800 for output there. I picked the other value just as it was the rapid limit from the factory.

Here are the data files and the IIR screen.

Attachment 442202

Hi cwatson1982,

ok no filters so far.

Encoder data actually seems smooth and clean not noisy. Some ringing either do to shock to system or borderline stable system. You might try turning down P gain a bit more to see if it is reduced. But it is small, several encoder counts ~ +/- 0.00004 inches

Attachment 442210

TK

Hi cwatson1982,

ok no filters so far.

Encoder data actually seems smooth and clean not noisy. Some ringing either do to shock to system or borderline stable system. You might try turning down P gain a bit more to see if it is reduced. But it is small, several encoder counts ~ +/- 0.00004 inches

Attachment 442210

Yes, it moves 10 inches. I turned P down some like you suggested. Raised D until I got resonance again and then started playing with I and VFF. I also added the 2nd order low pass filter per the documentation.

I'm not real sure if this is "good" or not but it's as little position error as I could get while keeping slow motion smooth and not having the system start oscillating. Any higher "I" and it seems good at max velocity but feels very rough at slow speeds. I'm not real sure what kind of position error I should be aiming for as I don't really have any kind of reference. I didn't try to get anything too much higher as the machine can get pretty aggressive when oscillating starts.

Attachment 442258
    Attachment 442260
    Attachment 442262
    Attachment 442264
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 123