585,712 active members*
4,073 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

whats the going salary for a cnc operator

I currently got a job as a cnc operator loading/unloading, cutting rough sized stock, measuring parts, changing tools, etc. I am located in WI and only get $7.75/hr for working full time 8+ hrs/week and I get no benefits. When I applied I told them I can use mastercam, inventor, autocad, solid works, and I even have my own Sherline cnc mill I run, so I have some experience.

thanks

Oooouch, $7.75/hr !

I see your age posted as 18, that pay is still low.

How long have you been with this company?

What's min. wage in Wis.?

I checked www.salary.com for "level 1" cnc operator, the lowest pay was $10.91 (Upstate/South Carolina).

Job Description

CNC Machine Programmer I
    Responsible for the programming of computer numeric controlled production equipment. May be responsible for the basic upkeep and corrections to programs. May require a bachelor's degree in area of specialty and 0-2 years of experience in the field or in a related area. Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on limited experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. Works under immediate supervision. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager.

Where are you located in WI. We are always looking for help in SE WI.

P.S. Like everyone, We pay for experience and I know it will be more than 7-8 bucks. You could sweep our floor for more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by zachjowi View Post
    I currently got a job as a cnc operator loading/unloading, cutting rough sized stock, measuring parts, changing tools, etc. I am located in WI and only get $7.75/hr for working full time 8+ hrs/week and I get no benefits. When I applied I told them I can use mastercam, inventor, autocad, solid works, and I even have my own Sherline cnc mill I run, so I have some experience.

thanks
    The man that owns the shop out to be ashaimed of himself, I was making that in 84 when I was just starting out. If you can maintain a setup and inspect your own parts. Make tool changes and corrections then depending on where you live I think between 10 and 12 an hour would be still low but what I would pay for a guy starting out. Once you came aboard and prooved yourself you would get more. The guy you work for is a crook and I would bet you have a lot of illegals in your town keeping the wage low. My advice to you MOVE now QUIT now. There a plenty of folks in this forum alone looking for help. And if you can do at least the things that I have spelled out then you need to find an area that has the work. I know that in the Metro Detroit area some guys that are real good can make 22 to 26 an hour in a non-union shop. So go forth my young Weedhopper and make your own way. Learn all you can from the old and wise dudes in the trade. And some day when you have a good grip on this trade you can tell guys like your boss to go F#$% himslef and take his 7 bucks and hire some illegal clod with a 5th grade education.

Bluesman

I am in the very SW part of WI and I am thinking I should quit very soon since I can work at Walamrt making more as a check out person. A friend that works at the same place has been thee for 1yr and got a HUGE raise of going from 7.75 to 8.00. I have been there since May. The shop has a max of 2 people working at a time and a total of 6 people including the owner and his dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    Oooouch, $7.75/hr !

I see your age posted as 18, that pay is still low.

How long have you been with this company?

What's min. wage in Wis.?

Wisconsin Minimum Wage increased on June 1, 2006 to $6.50

now that I checked that I really do feel cheated

another thing I really hate about working there when its about 90* outside b/c I know it will be about 110* in the non A?C building. Dio you guys work in A/Ced buildings?

Wisconsin Minimum Wage increased on June 1, 2006 to $6.50

now that I checked that I really do feel cheated

another thing I really hate about working there when its about 90* outside b/c I know it will be about 110* in the non A?C building. Dio you guys work in A/Ced buildings?
    A/C is exspensive so do not exspect everyone to have it. Especially smaller job shops. But just because they do not have A/C does not make them a bad place to work. Most shops I have worked at in my 30 plus years have at least had the break rooms A/C. I am an Engineer for a Tier 1 auto supplier and except for the clean rooms where we assemble and finish grind, The only A/C is in the office or the break rooms. But I have worked for some shops that had all A/C too.
    If you get a chance tell you boss I said he is a horses ass, It is cheap ass F%#*'s like him that created the need for labor unions in this country. It is one thing to pay a guy 7 bucks an hour but no beni's either. What a PUTZ he probobly charges 50 an hour for shop time.

Bluesman

In our shop we will start a guy off at $10 - $11 / hr if he seems to have a good attitude and a desire to learn the trade. I can train for skill, I can't fix a bad attitude. The wages only go higher with experience.
    Gunner

Ouch

When I started running screw machines 14 years ago I started out at 11.50 with no experience. I have been at my latest job for 10.5 years running cnc mills and started out at 12.00 with no cnc experience. This guy is cheating you big time. In Minneapolis adds guys with little experience start out at 10.00.

DAMMNNNN, MCDonalds Starts at $10 - $12 an hr here in nj and there always hiring

I am considering working at Best Buy or another local computer store since I want to become a Computer science major and they gat paid way better then I am now. I hope to give 2week notice this Thur when I get my huge 2week pay check of around $400

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Olson View Post
    When I started running screw machines 14 years ago I started out at 11.50 with no experience. I have been at my latest job for 10.5 years running cnc mills and started out at 12.00 with no cnc experience. This guy is cheating you big time. In Minneapolis adds guys with little experience start out at 10.00.
    if you don't mind may I ask you what a ball park figure is of what you make now with that experience

depending on what you are doing at your job , the knowledge could be priceless , if you think of it in the sense as a paid education where as other guys pay schools to learn it may be a positive thing
    learn then bail and find something better paying ,

i dropped out of construction a number of years ago i went from huge wages to peanuts ,i had to start at the bottom with bottom wages while raising two kids and a mooch of a " person" , but i gained good experience , moved on thru a few shops and gained more and more experience wise and cash wise , after going thru the bumps things have worked out ,

your young take advantage of that now , you don t want to be 30 or 40 working at best buy going brain dead
    nobody walks into the work force and starts at top dollar , very few are fortunate to enough anyhow
    its not to say you don t desearve a fair wage either but you need to look at what you will gain for your future not just the present

If you have basic knowledge in the in the software you described, and basic experience as an operator, you are very much underpaid.

I don't know SW Wis., if it is predominantly a rural area, the wages may not be too bad. There are a growing number of shop owners that are setting up in rural areas, for both quality of life issues, and reduced labor costs.

I own a Small shop (10 people), if you were to apply at my shop in Florida, you would start at $12.00 an hour, with medical, 401K, vacation, etc. I would look at you as a diamond in the rough. At 18 you have shown an interest not only as an operator/machinist, but have some background with the software that could make you a excellent programmer/machinist within the next 4 to 5 years.

Don't be afraid to leave your current job. Matter of fact, don't be afraid to work at 2 or 3 shops in your first 5 years. You won't learn it all working under one master machinist. The word journeyman was originally coined in Europe to describe a craftsman who had journeyed and worked for multiple master-craftsman to learn the trade completely.

Timing in life is important, right now there is a shortage of qualified machinist. This won't exist forever. You will have no trouble finding another job, but you may have to move to a new location. The current shortage should exist for the next 3 to 5 years, so it is perfect time for you to be entering the trade.

I would recommend, from my experience, to stay with smaller shops (less than 30 people), your interest in the trade will be recognized in this environment, and you will most likely receive more mentors and learn at a faster rate.

Good luck to you and welcome to the trade. Society will never recognize how important the work is that you do, but the quality of life that our society enjoys is directly related to the industrial work we do.

That's incredibly underpaid. I cannot think of any job that pays that little.

I'm really just echoing previous posts to add weight to them because the advice is so relevant- get a new job, you're young enough to benefit from moving about a few times and it will give you a more solid foundation.

As an aside, I personaly would steal all your employer's micrometers and anything else I could get my hands on the guy is taking the piss.

-Ball bearings in his car's gear- box via the oil resevoir is a good one too.
    -Oh and so is using a blender to puree a pound of prawns- stick that in his coolant resevoir and the place will stink like you wouldn't beleive after a few days.

Sorry: you should, of course, do nothing of the kind and leave on amicable terms, I just get so teed off at people taking such blatent advantage.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

The worst part is that as long as people (skilled or not) are willing to work for the guy, he will likely never change his ways.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I am considering working at Best Buy or another local computer store since I want to become a Computer science major and they gat paid way better then I am now. I hope to give 2week notice this Thur when I get my huge 2week pay check of around $400
    Make sure to let your boss know, that your leaving for more money/benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by STS_John View Post
    If you have basic knowledge in the in the software you described, and basic experience as an operator, you are very much underpaid.

I don't know SW Wis., if it is predominantly a rural area, the wages may not be too bad. There are a growing number of shop owners that are setting up in rural areas, for both quality of life issues, and reduced labor costs.

I own a Small shop (10 people), if you were to apply at my shop in Florida, you would start at $12.00 an hour, with medical, 401K, vacation, etc. I would look at you as a diamond in the rough. At 18 you have shown an interest not only as an operator/machinist, but have some background with the software that could make you a excellent programmer/machinist within the next 4 to 5 years.

Don't be afraid to leave your current job. Matter of fact, don't be afraid to work at 2 or 3 shops in your first 5 years. You won't learn it all working under one master machinist. The word journeyman was originally coined in Europe to describe a craftsman who had journeyed and worked for multiple master-craftsman to learn the trade completely.

Timing in life is important, right now there is a shortage of qualified machinist. This won't exist forever. You will have no trouble finding another job, but you may have to move to a new location. The current shortage should exist for the next 3 to 5 years, so it is perfect time for you to be entering the trade.

I would recommend, from my experience, to stay with smaller shops (less than 30 people), your interest in the trade will be recognized in this environment, and you will most likely receive more mentors and learn at a faster rate.

Good luck to you and welcome to the trade. Society will never recognize how important the work is that you do, but the quality of life that our society enjoys is directly related to the industrial work we do.
    Well put John, You should see my Resume I have to acually leave some jobs out just to keep it short enough. When I first started out in this trade I was a sponge, And I would leave one place to go to another just for the diffrent exspierience. When I wanted to learn HMC I went and found a shop and went to work for them. Did the smae thing when I wanted to learn the Boring Mill trade (Long Time Ago) I took a job one time just to learn the exsotic metals. Inkonel and Gold aloy Brasing stuff like that. Now as an old guy I need to stay put and concentrate more on whats good for my Kids. But you are a young man and John has got great advice and it echoes the advice I gave early on in this posting. Go My Young Weedhopper and exspierience what the world has to offer. do it while you are young. There is so much in this industrie to learn and John is right there is a real shortage of good Process minded Guys that can really make a diffrence between making money for a guy and just helping him break even.

Bluesman

In southern Arizona the wages for the type of work you described will get you at least $12.50 and hour. From there the sky is the limit.

At this point in time you could probably get shops to bid on you. It is virtually impossible to find employees now.

Page 1 of 3 123