584,871 active members*
5,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    Your being taken advantage of plain and simple. Even without any skills or work history that pay rate can be made ANYWHERE these days. True you could look at it as a learning experience, doing your time etc but no point getting screwed while doing it to boot. Good luck with the A/C some have some do not. I am in South Louisiana and today its 95 with a heat index of 105 and 90% humidity. I have done my time working years after getting my Engineering Degree and I have a decent little office thats nice and cool, when I can be in it lol. A/C is a crap shoot and I don't even work for a small shop. When I left school production machining was going overseas so I jumped at a jump with a pharmaceutical company at a plant. The corp made around 8 billion last year I think, ask me if I work in the A/C lol little shops scrapping by are not to worried about the climate in most cases.

One of the guys I know that does machine shop sales said he has a few guys from up your way working down here because there was no work and what was around no one wanted to pay. So there must be a few jobs still around but overall I am afraid the field is slimming out due to out sourcing. Which leads me to your comment about Computer Science.. Think long and hard and look at the industry for them right now before you get into that to far. That field is going the same way as tool die makers, its being outsourced. Or move to India and learn Hindu. Going to school these days I would suggest something in the medical field or business and my rational is this. Medical- You can't ship the patients overseas and with all the aging boomers there will be no shortage of work (all in the AC and with lots of sexy nurses to look at too!!! vs a bunch of sweaty, hairy men lol ) after all that can't outsource the patients and local facilities. Business- I say this because it has been my experience that a easy to get business degree holds value especially if you don't mind kissin a lil ass as that seems to work very well for those that do. Where I am we have Engineers of several disciplines and yet our suggestions are overshadowed and ruled by the people with accounting, finance and marketing degrees. These folks end up deciding all the inner workings of the facilities and whats best for the plant in most places, so if you really want to do those things go into business. Why they bothered to hire so many engineers and ask for input only to go do their own hair brained ideas is beyond me, but hey so long as my check cashes right. Plus the bene's are great with a drug maker

Ask your Doctor if its right for you!

Angry

Speaking from years of experience, STAY AWAY FROM CSIM you wont find a decent job and if you do you will want to kill yourself when you realize the mundane ness of it all. 24/7/365 behind a monitor just to make a deadline so you can still have a job in the morning, screwit, ya i have a little angst

Hi,guys. I'd like to work in USA! My current salary is about 4.8RMB/hr. Six workdays in a week.

All I have to say is southern AZ is doing fine in machining right now If I could find someone with a mechanical aptitude and good work ethic they would get hired for at least 12.00/hr If they new anything about programming were looking at 15+ we have decent home prices and low a cost of living and 300+ days of sunshine. (a few of them are hot).
    Joe
    just like srstol said we are thinking about stealing employees from other companies. and we pay full medical for our employees and their families.

To be honest with you though,
    We have people apply that say they're operators and can't read Mic's or a blueprint it's hard to hire someone like that so get you're skills up make sure you know every thing called out on a blueprint get an ANSI y14.5 book and try to understand it before you oversell yourself.
    If you do already understand it move to Tucson and I will get you a job.
    Joe

Twin Cities shops usually start around $12-13 and gives nice raises.
    CNC Set Up Machinist -Twin Turret Turning on Mori-Seiki and Mazak

Me thinks you're being taken advantage of.

My "do all" guy, who cuts material, packs & unpacks parts, runs "lock and load" jobs as well as does our janitorial work and a few deliveries makes $11 and he's not even got a H.S. diploma. My lowest paid machinist is $13 and I'll be giving him a raise soon. He's learing a lot and catching on quick. Top guys in my shop are making $22 an hour. Mind you, those are 40+ year old guys with 20+ years of exerience. Our bennies aren't too bad. BCBS medical/dental with zero copay, SEP fund and more/less any unpaid days off they want within reason plus their vacation.

Move on and find someone who will recognize you for what you can do and what you could do in the future, not someone looking to boost his bottom line by paying fast food wages. Good luck to you.

Heck I started out as a manual machinist doing the low grade easy stuff at $8.50 and where I live thats considered good wage.

good grief you guys work too cheap. You know the owners charge from $50 -$70 per hr. And an extra $100 just for the program, Nyle

Quote Originally Posted by nyleeloise View Post
    good grief you guys work too cheap. You know the owners charge from $50 -$70 per hr. And an extra $100 just for the program, Nyle

come on !
    what s the minimum payment/month on each machine ,they aren t cheap, niether is the building ,power , wages , scraped parts etc, etc , any of us who are making a good wage carve a good chunck out of that ,
    if it was so easy and so cheap noone would be working for somebody else ,they would be running their own machines

been my experience that many of the companies who run heavy production and pay low wages are cut throats who charge minimal to get the work , they are already running on a fine line and hurt when things slow down,
    good places to learn then bail

Heck I'm running a Makino sinker E.D.M. and HAAS all the while I do electrode prep work and buff work and do lathe, mill, surface grinder and bench work all for a big old 9.25 and the .25 is my shift differential cause I work 2nd but I don't do any programing....

Zach, hang in there, you should gain you some experience like at least a year with this cheap low paying company then look for another company that pays more and don,t be shy about asking up front what they pay. And shop owners have to charge as much as they do, expecially small shop owners, the cost of doing business as a small business is overwhelming sometimes. I have my own glass business and make upto 50 to 150 an hour but I work nights at a mold shop at 12.00 an hour. Business has picked up enough I could drop the mold job but I like it, besides I got a full shop of beautiful machines at my disposal( can ya say "Projects galore") I will say this if you want a job as a cnc programmer, you coulsd try the learn on the job method but most shops want experienced people for that, your best bet is cnc classes at a tech school plus some experience working at a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
    don,t be shy about asking up front what they pay..
    if they ask , never answer as to how much you are currently making , it will work against you ,

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    come on !
    what s the minimum payment/month on each machine ,they aren t cheap, niether is the building ,power , wages , scraped parts etc, etc , any of us who are making a good wage carve a good chunck out of that ,
    if it was so easy and so cheap noone would be working for somebody else ,they would be running their own machines

been my experience that many of the companies who run heavy production and pay low wages are cut throats who charge minimal to get the work , they are already running on a fine line and hurt when things slow down,
    good places to learn then bail

You got it! You also forgot, health and dental insurance, perishable tools, machine PM.

When I do an analysis on a job that's shipped and all the numbers are complete, labor hours, material, tooling, fixturing, etc, I need to make between $80-$85 an hour on a job to break even for the month. Some of my jobs are quoted at $75 an hour and some at $100 an hour. It depends on the machine and machinist that'll do the job. I'll quote it for the average skill level guy and if one of my better guys isn't busy when the job hits the floor, he'll do it and I'll make a decent profit.

Sometimes we have bad months, sometimes we have great months. This spring I had a guy missread a dimension on an entire order of 200 parts. Thought and 8 was a 3, honest mistake, it looked like a 3. My fault for letting it get on the floor without noticing it. We lost over $100k on that job... Bad month to say the least.

So not all those shops that charge up to and over $100 an hour are rolling in cash.....

Quote Originally Posted by MIKA Tool Rikk View Post

Sometimes we have bad months, sometimes we have great months. This spring I had a guy missread a dimension on an entire order of 200 parts. Thought and 8 was a 3, honest mistake, it looked like a 3. My fault for letting it get on the floor without noticing it. We lost over $100k on that job... Bad month to say the least.

So not all those shops that charge up to and over $100 an hour are rolling in cash.....

As I read this, I was going "Ouch!" out loud. Is there a "LOL"
    equivalent for that? "OOL" doesn't seem right...

It sounds like you're you must be at least a medium-sized
    company - a mistake like that would put me under (two man
    shop). Was this a badly copied print, hand written dimensions,
    or what? How will you prevent this in the future?

Milland

And getting back to the topic

Zach,
    FWIW, I'm paying my helper/trainee $21/hr, but this is in
    the New England area, which more expensive than much of the
    country, and without benefits except for vacation. Yes, you're
    being paid too little, but if the shop is giving some opportunity for
    real training (not just "as you work"), perhaps it's worth a year
    of that, but I would keep my eyes on the want ads.

Whatever you do, leave before you get a "bad/burned" attitude;
    no job is worth that, and it'll cost you an awful lot over the course
    of your life.

Milland

I would suggest to you to confront the owner of the shop in a professional manner and ask him for a raise and let him know what you want to get paid. If you are confident in what you are doing you should get what you think you are worth. I worked in a machine shop years ago and I would have worked there for years at the same wage if I didn't ask the boss for a raise. The boss probably figures you are comfortable getting that amount. Confront him about it. You probably will be surprised how he will react in a positive manner. If you are worth it he will give you want you are worth. If not then move on. No use steaming about it (if you are) and I expect you are and not doing anything about it. He will respect you more if you confront him and he will respect you in the future. If not move on somewhere else. If you are a good employee that makes him money, he will want to keep you.
    Darcy

Zach, Hang in there! I too live in WI about 30 min north of madison. Our area has lots of openings for cnc setup, machinists, and maint. Depending on your experiance you can start out around 10 to 12 an hour. But it can go up to 25 to 28 an hour. I myself started out at 9.50 and since then I have proven my self to the company in the last 7 years and now I am at 17.00. I am a one man shop in a food plant. I do all the re/enginering and machining (manual and cnc), and I could make more but I have great perks (screw off time). Find a new job, don't go to Best Buy, be proud of what you can do with your hands and find a place that will respect you for it. Remember being a machinist is an art. Bad artist are easy to come by but GREAT artists get paid.
    Patrick

Zach, There is no reason to work for some cheap *** for that low pay when you can mop floors at Mickey D's for $10-$11 with some bennies. I live in Wisconsin as well. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal had CNC operator ads yesterday starting @ $12/hr.

An operator/programmer should expect well into the $20's per hr.

Wisconsin is notorious for paying lower than adjacent states. Also for less lay-offs when it slows down, and it will from time to time.

If you develop your skills/education, you should find good paying jobs. You may have to move around a bit but we all seem to have done it. Maybe that's why we're referred to as journeymen.

There should be something available that is a good fit for you near by. Maybe Minneapolis, Minn., Madison, Wi., Rockford, Ill. or Milwaukee, Wi.

Keep learning what ever you decide. Good Luck.
    DZASTR

Zach,

You are being RIPPED OFF! Open the want ads or check out Craigslist and find yourself a better paying position. Then quit this job and never look back. This business is, unfortunately, overpopulated with very greedy, a**holes who use people like paper towels. Don't waste anymore time with this creep.

Page 2 of 3 123