586,000 active members*
5,036 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

It's not the heat, it's the humidity

The global warming thing is an attempt to get the attention of the newspapers and politicians, because if you don't make it simple and dramatic they ignore it. The real question is: Are the activities of humans having a possible irreversible effect on the planet, that could lead to the End of Life as We Know it?

You can think of the yeast in a bottle of grape juice, eating sugar and making CO2 and alcohol. Life is great until the alcohol concentration kills all the yeasts. Earth and the wine bottle are both closed finite systems.

As a geologist, the span of human history is hardly even within the resolution limits of the geologic record, and so is geologically insignificant.

To tell you the truth (and not to denegrate your post) I actualy do not give a damn.

I'll be dead before anything does (or does not) happen.

Kids? they'll cope and if they don't then human kind wasn't meant to be. Same as dinosaurs.

Just my tuppence worth.

*says "Uuuuum" and meditates of the Gaia philosophy* (where's me smoke lol)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

One question. Since when is Earth a closed system?
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Shotout View Post
    One question. Since when is Earth a closed system?
    Since always. Well maybe not since always because back when earth was forming big and little rocks were coming in. And I suppose if you want to get technical small amounts of space dust are still coming in but I don't think that is of any significance. If earth is not a closed system what is coming in and what is going out; excluding electromagnetic radiation.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I know a little of topic from you post but it fits with your header.
    I live in Minnesota so I am us to hot and humid days. I just spent some time in Las Vegas 120 deg but a "dry heat". I do not care about the dry but dam that was HOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Since always. Well maybe not since always because back when earth was forming big and little rocks were coming in. And I suppose if you want to get technical small amounts of space dust are still coming in but I don't think that is of any significance. If earth is not a closed system what is coming in and what is going out; excluding electromagnetic radiation.
    I don't exclude any type of external influances. Solar radiation causes heating of the atmosphere, causing convection currents etc down the line. Solar radiation also starts the water cycle on Earth through evaporation. All required outside influences to allow Earth to support life. Even ocean currents, a major factor in climates are strongly infuenced by external forces, the tides, which are caused from the moon's gravitation interaction with Earth. All these external factors drive the world's climate and allow life to survive. I'm not trying to be knit picky, I just don't see it as a closed system when without the external factors we'd not be here at all.

Scott
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

The discussion that I would prefer over global warming is the ability of the planet to sustain human, (my) life, at some level of quality, (keep as many plants and animals as possible). Is there the potential for man to make the planet unlivable?

Quote Originally Posted by qroger View Post
    The discussion that I would prefer over global warming is the ability of the planet to sustain human, (my) life, at some level of quality, (keep as many plants and animals as possible). Is there the potential for man to make the planet unlivable?
    There is that possibility, but the question I wonder over is the likelihood of such an event. Growing up we had nuke drills, don't know what my desk would have done to protect me but we all had to scramble under them. I'd say the likelihood of the end of human life during those times was much greater than now. The Soviets honestly thought Regan wanted a nuclear war.

I'm for wise use, responsible disposal of waste and searching for realistic sources of renewable energy, but the current atmosphere of panic, gloom and doom and profiteering isn't helping these causes. Until the scientist that are actually qualified to study, interpret and recommend courses of action take over from the politicions and people with their own agendas I see a downward spiral. People for the most part that I've talked to are sick of the alarm-ism, tired of the contradictory "facts", and really really frustrated with the fact that the real polluters are the developing world and there is nothing quantifiable being done about that, only trading carbon credits and making rich people richer. Look at all the toxic products coming into the US from China, all the food products coming out of Central/South America that are covered in pesticides and herbicides that have been banned for use in the US for 3+ decades because it is known that they cause cancer and birth defects in people. Pollution is everyone's problem, but myself, I'm tired of being berated and told how horrible I am while watching these developing country's practices being ignored out of politics and political correctness.

Living where I do I have a different perspective perhaps, I'm surrounded by Plantations (best wildlife conservation money can buy), state Wildlife Protection Areas, timber stands that are in the state's trust program and agricultural land. All this surrounding one of the larger cities in my state, home to a multitude of manufacturing plants etc. Maybe if I lived in LA and had to see smog it be different. Our weather is normal, same as it was 30 some odd years ago at least, aside from the occasional drought, the worst was in '54 according to my father-in-law who being in a ag business should know, it is the same old same old. Cancer rates are on the decline, mainly due to the prohibitions against certain chemicals that are now know to be carcinogenic. The two Super Fund Sites have long ago been turned into public parks. Some see doom and gloom, I see improvement.

Scott
    Mark Twain