Hi. 3D drawing. Putting a part, made up of several components together of various Z heights. Sometimes I just want to draw an outline of a part inside the whole drawing. Only, when I do this, I find the lines are all over the place in the Z direction. So they look flat, but turn the drawing around, there are curves going upwards, downwards just everywhere! I have tried going to 2D mode, tried showing the grid, looked at snap settings. To no avail.

Also. Inside the 3D drawing, if I want to move a component across the drawing, unless I use the arrows on the gripper, I seem to have no control which direction it moves on the vertical scale. Say I am looking at the top of my part. I want to move a piece a few mm in the Y direction. I do this, but then find it has dropped halfway through the part in the Z direction. Thats an example.

Oh - often, "curves not planar" is a boom I come across.

I am wondering if there is a tutorial or setting I can suss to work out whats going wrong? Is there a way I can keep things flat on the screen?

I guess this will look like a rant. But I have no idea how to resolve, how to move parts around without needing to use the gripper. Normally I will measure how far I need to move a part, then engage the gripper in that direction.