584,837 active members*
5,374 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How difficult would it be?

I'm throwing around an Idea to upgrade my Anilam 1400M, how difficult would it be to install an Acu-Rite MILLPWR system?

Re: How difficult would it be?

No more difficult than any other upgrade, I'm sure it's well documented. Documentation is the key.

In looking through the Acu-Rite MILLPWR web page, it seems to me that is a bit limited. One thing that stuck out was a maximum ''steps'' of 9,999, I assume that means lines of G code. It's not unusual to generate 40 or 50 thousand line G code files with modern CAM software. Most modern CNC software will handle a million lines or more.

You might look at Dynomotion or Centroid products.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

L'll look thanks.

What can I get out of my Anilam 1400M system.

There is one on Ebay for $900. I sold my Anilam Crusader M for $250, and my Fanuc OT for $1200.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

That looks like its just the computer, I'm thinking for the whole unit I may be able to get enough to at lest offset the cost of a Allin1DC. Just don't know if it would be worth buying a new system or just fixing this electrical problem I have.

Those All In 1 DC systems are a bit pricey. You might take another look at the Dynomotion Kflop/Kanalog system. That will run your existing drives. I'm guessing you have Fenner SD drives in your machine.

I guess it depends on what problems you are having. I personally have a very low tolerance for failing and obsolete controls.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Those All In 1 DC systems are a bit pricey. You might take another look at the Dynomotion Kflop/Kanalog system. That will run your existing drives. I'm guessing you have Fenner SD drives in your machine.

I guess it depends on what problems you are having. I personally have a very low tolerance for failing and obsolete controls.
    Im not sure what servos I have the only markings on them I can find are, Vonn ind. MC3001M-212-412-L and I can't find anything on google about them. I think it's just a wiring issue but im not an electrician.

I couldn't find anything on those drives either.

Maybe bringing in a local tech to get you up and running would be a good plan. The alternative might be to do a full retrofit as you suggest in your first post. Given that there is no documentation available for your current drives, replacing the drives and motors with modern AC servos would be my first choice.

Take a look at DMM Technologies products. https://store.dmm-tech.com/ I have used these in several installations and have had good luck with them, and a good value. Great tech support. Fully compatible with the Centroid Acorn or Dynomotion Kflop systems. For a BP type machine, the 0.75KW or 1KW servos with the Dyn4 drives would be a good fit.

Since you have limited electrical experience, having a local panel shop build your electrical panel would be a good idea.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Can I , without too much headache, relpace the existing servos and control boards with, SEM MT30M4-38 servos and CDS-1015F controllers? This is my home machine and wish to get his machine running as cheap a possible so I can make my own play things at home.

You are kinda trying to solve a problem that may not exist. Replacing your existing motors and drives with the motors and drives you referenced above would not gain anything, you would be back to where you started, other than there seems to be some documentation for them. As near as I can tell the ''F'' on the end of the drive part number indicates speed control only and these are analog command only. Basically the same setup as you already have.

Maybe taking a step back and looking at the actual problem would be helpful. I assume the machine doesn't run as it is, but you have never stated what problem it actually has. Your original question was ''how difficult would it be to install an Acu-Rite MILLPWR system?'' The drives and/or motors are about the last thing that I would expect to fail.

The only reason I suggested new drives and motors was to be compatible with a less expensive controller upgrade that has a step and direction output and still has good performance.

For the absolute least cost system, something like this would be an option. (this is not a suggestion, but only an example) https://www.ebay.com/itm/WT3axis-cnc...AAAOSwpONZOO2a

The above system would work, more or less, but the performance would be limited. It would run on Mach3 as the controller. It is cheap, but not something I would hang on my machine.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

The machine works and the anilam 1400 system seems to work but im having an electrical problem with the servo and control boards, I can't get all 3 axes to work, or ballance at the same time. I can't even get the servos to do the same thing twice.

Since you are having random problems with all 3 drives, it would seem that the problem is common to all of the drives and that might be a power supply. Hard to say which power supply could be causing this without some voltage checks, I think that system has at least 4 DC power supplies in it, 3 of which might be in one large chassis. Or it could be as simple as a loose wire or bad connector somewhere. This is where I normally get out the voltmeter and start checking things. And if that fails to turn up the problem, time to drag out the oscilloscope and monitor the various voltages in real time.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Battery backup is bad, I dont know if that could be all the problem. Can I replace it with a normal computer backup?

If the battery backup is dead, you would need to replace it with a similar battery. By similar I mean the same rating and battery chemistry. In other words, match the voltage, current, and size, and don't replace a Nicad with a lithium battery. A dead backup battery normally means a complete loss of system parameters, but this depends on the system and how the parameters are stored. I don't know enough about the Anilam 1400 to offer advice on that one.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA