584,837 active members*
5,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Centroid CNC Control Products > Centroid CNC Control Serial Number 6306 - 1998 - USB drive hookup

Centroid CNC Control Serial Number 6306 - 1998 - USB drive hookup

Hello everyone, not sure if I am posting in the correct thread or not. I have an older gentleman who I am helping out. He is a genius with the older machines but is somewhat new to the updated computer systems. The machine he has includes a RS232 and we are trying to figure out the best way to hook up a USB to his machine. Would a RS232 to USB work? We want to be able to hook up a usb drive to transfer files over. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Centroid CNC Control Serial Number 6306 - 1998 - USB drive hookup

You could use a USB-to-RS232 adapter on the sending computer, plus an RS232 cable, plus DOS-based serial file transfer software on the control computer, such as my NWDNC program, to transfer files. No USB flash drive would be involved, in that case.

You could replace the floppy disk drive in the control computer with a USB-to-floppy emulator. These usually work pretty well, as long as you don't need to move files that exceed 1.4MB, and you can keep some specially-formatted USB flash drives around for just this use (because the emulator's often require that you specially format the USB drives with provided software).