585,676 active members*
4,796 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Saftronics G3 issue

Hello, I've got an older Saftronics G3 5hp 220V VFD that I got from an industrial surplus place. I stupidly didn't power it up before the return period was up. I just did tonight and find that it has a CPF05 error. I'm trying to factory reset it to see if it'll clear, but when I press the pgm button I don't get the no-01 it's supposed to. I get An-01. I can't figure out how to get to no-01 from there. I can find bn-01,Sn-01 and Cn-01,I think.
    Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I've looked thru the manual and I can't find these anywhere.

Thanks!

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200728_201810.jpg  

Re: Saftronics G3 issue

...looks like an error code. try re-seating all the plugs, ic's, eproms, etc.. might get lucky its just a bad connection inside.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/Icarus/DOCU...anuals_123.pdf
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safetronics vfd.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	446632

Thanks for that manual, I must have had the wrong one! I'll try reseating the chips and factory resetting tomorrow.

Well, I reseated everything I could and then reset the drive and am still getting the error code. I decided to take it all apart to see if I could see anything obvious wrong. I think I got lucky! There's one capacitor that's obviously bad and one next to it that may be too. The one is swelled and slightly open like they do and the other looks like it might be swelling. I'm going to replace them and see what happens. Here's hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldIsleforg View Post
    Well, I reseated everything I could and then reset the drive and am still getting the error code. I decided to take it all apart to see if I could see anything obvious wrong. I think I got lucky! There's one capacitor that's obviously bad and one next to it that may be too. The one is swelled and slightly open like they do and the other looks like it might be swelling. I'm going to replace them and see what happens. Here's hoping!
    The caps are most likely well over due for replacement the normal replacement is every 2 years but not many people ever replace them, until they cause damage or take the boards out, which is usually to late, so yes you might have got lucky

If these caps have caused any kind of short, they can take out the CPU which is where your fault was coming from
    Mactec54

Well, it looks like the caps weren't the only problem unfortunately. I replaced them today & still have the same error.