584,865 active members*
4,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand Club House > We do you guys buy your stock? Steel, mainly aluminium in Australia?

We do you guys buy your stock? Steel, mainly aluminium in Australia?

So I have searched around and have spoken to quite a few different suppliers, I have also purchased from a few different suppliers in the past, But I am really interested to hear what your guys opinion is and where do you buy your raw stock from?
    I am based in Sydney Australia and mainly looking for Aluminium. Probably about 80% aluminium 20% steel.

Re: We do you guys buy your stock? Steel, mainly aluminium in Australia?

Bohler (now called Voestalpine)
    Bohler / Voestalpine
    There are 10 types of people in the world
    Those of us who get binary, and those who don't.

I have purchased aluminum from Calm Aluminum. They are NSW based and can supply cut to size. I got my cast tooling plate from them.

Action Aluminium are good and are in all states.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    Action Aluminium are good and are in all states.
    Even on account they are expensive as.

I've bought from Capral Aluminium a few times. I don't know how their prices compare to other suppliers but I find them convenient because they are just down the road (for pickup), they cut stock without charge and you can browse and buy through their website. I'm in Adelaide but I think they have sites around the country. For Steel, I usually go to a supplier called Steel Plus, but as far as I know they're only local and not country wide

Quote Originally Posted by HumanBean View Post
    I don't know how their prices compare to other suppliers
    Cheap! However, I have noticed their aluminium of 6060 is much more "doey" than from Action... which is more "crisp". I find Capral tends to cling and clot more both on the cold saw and end mills.

Just shows Aluminium aint Aluminium.

I have a local guy on small scale off-cuts and the like cheap if you want a 20mm thick plate and he has cut for someone else ,almost made my whole CNC with those bits ,there is a lot of China Aluminium that machines crappy found that out ..

A lot of Australian suppliers are still living in the land of denial. They only want to sell by the truck load, and they want a 100% mark-up. And their delivery charges are out of sight. As bad as many Alibaba State Factory vendors, who only want to sell by the container load.

In some cases I have done better by buying aluminium and titanium from Chinese vendors on ebay. To be sure, they are no cheaper by the kg, but they will sell me 1 m of rod rather than having an MOQ of 4 off 6 m lengths, and they include postage in their prices. I have (so far) been lucky perhaps in picking my vendors and had 6060, 6061 and 2011 Al seemingly to spec. Plate too: I can buy bits 300 mm x 300 mm rather than having to buy full sheets.

While some Couriers (like Fastway) are frauds imho, the postman always delivers. Fastway seem to dither for a week, then pass the parcel to APO. 'Signature on delivery'? You jest.

Oh well, I am sure there are more dodgy vendors out there.

Cheers

Buy a fair bit from Direct Aluminium, mainly cause they have a local branch. Buy mainly sail track extrusion for caravan work. On occasion some stuff for trucks.
    HQ is in Geelong. Also have branches elsewhere: Melb, Ingleburn, Loganhome, Adelaide.
    How do their prices compare - dunno
    Can get offcuts, but need to do your homework, as in vs buying the whole length.

Also buy from Capral, again cause their convenient when we do drop-offs in Campbellfield (caravan Mecca in Vic). Stuff I cant get from Direct Ally.
    Laverton Nth trade centre has been a happy hunting ground for offcuts in the past.
    Just some random canvas guy

Quote Originally Posted by FastFarmer View Post
    Even on account they are expensive as.
    Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    A lot of Australian suppliers are still living in the land of denial. They only want to sell by the truck load, and they want a 100% mark-up. And their delivery charges are out of sight. As bad as many Alibaba State Factory vendors, who only want to sell by the container load.

In some cases I have done better by buying aluminium and titanium from Chinese vendors on ebay. To be sure, they are no cheaper by the kg, but they will sell me 1 m of rod rather than having an MOQ of 4 off 6 m lengths, and they include postage in their prices. I have (so far) been lucky perhaps in picking my vendors and had 6060, 6061 and 2011 Al seemingly to spec. Plate too: I can buy bits 300 mm x 300 mm rather than having to buy full sheets.

While some Couriers (like Fastway) are frauds imho, the postman always delivers. Fastway seem to dither for a week, then pass the parcel to APO. 'Signature on delivery'? You jest.

Oh well, I am sure there are more dodgy vendors out there.

Cheers
    Well I've never found that to be a problem with Action Aluminium and I've always found their prices quite reasonable. And yes I do have a rarely used account with them. Heck on my last visit, I found they had moved ( 2 doors down) and that they had been there for 5 months which says how often I use said account. It would be nice if they carried some 7000 series ally. But if I want half a dozen pieces cut to 52mm they do it happily for me. Last week I bought 1 m of 6mm x 60mm flat bar and it only cost $6.57, Sure mild steel is cheaper but I have to buy it by the length..
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au