584,841 active members*
4,272 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Adaptive guide bushing

I’m running a citizen L32 with an adaptive guide bushing. I’ve never used one before so I’m not as tuned into it. We’re turning some heat treated 15-5 from 3/4 down to .255 for most of this 4 inch long part. I’m having all sorts of issues with tapering, chatter and just nasty stringy chips. I’m sure some is from the material but I wanna make sure I got everything as rigid as I can. Our only info in the book says you tighten the adaptive GB til you feel it bite then loosen 90 degrees and not to go off “feel”. Even when it’s claimed this feels to loose to me. I’ve already tightened it a little more and want to go a little bit more cause that seemed to help. Anyone got any tips on these things? Is this 90 degree thing true or do you gotta go less for a more snug fit on tough **** like this?

Quote Originally Posted by MNhockeyguy View Post
    I’m running a citizen L32 with an adaptive guide bushing. I’ve never used one before so I’m not as tuned into it. We’re turning some heat treated 15-5 from 3/4 down to .255 for most of this 4 inch long part. I’m having all sorts of issues with tapering, chatter and just nasty stringy chips. I’m sure some is from the material but I wanna make sure I got everything as rigid as I can. Our only info in the book says you tighten the adaptive GB til you feel it bite then loosen 90 degrees and not to go off “feel”. Even when it’s claimed this feels to loose to me. I’ve already tightened it a little more and want to go a little bit more cause that seemed to help. Anyone got any tips on these things? Is this 90 degree thing true or do you gotta go less for a more snug fit on tough **** like this?
    It depends on the guide Bush but yes normally open the Bush. Tighten onto the bar and go back half a turn and you are set.

We use the JBS system but non JBS brand bushes can be got with less movement.
    Check the air supply and and that is good.

Re: Adaptive guide bushing

We have an A320 that we used to have an adaptive guide bushing installed on. We run a ball screw on it that is about 25" long. Every since we started running this part we have had issues holding a cross hole that has a.002 true position. We tried lots of things. Finally one day we said what the hell lets try a standard guide bushing. We haven't put the adaptive back in since and that was about 5 months ago. what we found was that and differences in the od of the material want actually being multiplied by the dual contact bushing in the adaptive GB setup. At that time we were running all of our parts thru the AGB and switched them all to stand GB and they all started running better. For the screw we tightened the GB quite tighter than normal and turned the push rate on the bar feeder down to 10% so it doesn't push the material when we re-chuck. With as much material as you are taking off I would imagine you are getting movement in the AGB due to the amount of tool pressure. I would definitely try with a standard GB to see the results.