584,858 active members*
4,397 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > New to PP and questions about part 0 vs tool offset 0

New to PP and questions about part 0 vs tool offset 0

1100 -3 with ETS and conventional probe.
    I understand that prior to using the probe and ETS, you have to zero the spindle face to a 123 or vise or part. When you do this for the probe then set Xyz zero, do they get over written when you touch the face of the spindle off at a different z height or x y for the ETS? Are the values copied to a separate register?

Trying to get a answer from Tormach, but understandably they are very busy.

Thank you for any help!

Re: New to PP and questions about part 0 vs tool offset 0

The probe length and offset values live in different registers than the G54/G55 work offsets that you probe for parts, if that is your question.

Quote Originally Posted by gwb View Post
    1100 -3 with ETS and conventional probe.
    I understand that prior to using the probe and ETS, you have to zero the spindle face to a 123 or vise or part. When you do this for the probe then set Xyz zero, do they get over written when you touch the face of the spindle off at a different z height or x y for the ETS? Are the values copied to a separate register?

Trying to get a answer from Tormach, but understandably they are very busy.

Thank you for any help!
    I use the most current version of pp and this might make a difference in how this works and the instructions on setup pages. Also I would read the ets and probe setup pages in the new mx manuals. They were a little more clear on the process. The instructions in the 24r manual "example" have you page hopping and confused in no time.

First set your e.t.s. position-location so the machine returns to that point to touch off tools each time the code is called. Then follow pp instructions for e.t.s. setup and it will store the height value for e.t.s. and display it on that page. Then follow PP instructions on probe setup page and determine the z height value of it. That value is stored in #99 tool table per the instructions.

thank you !
    Great info and I’ll download that manual.

Jwatte

jwatte, Thank you. I was thing that may be the case. Appreciate you verifying that for me. Now it makes sense!

thank you !
    Great info and I’ll download that manual.
    Might want to update PP also.
    Reading release notes for newest Path pilot update and it looks like they have changed some of the e.t.s. and probe setup and functions. Not having to reference spindle / e.t.s. at power up is one welcome change. And they describe a number of other tweaks to the user interface of probe and e.t.s functions.

Re: Jwatte

jwatte, Thank you. I was thing that may be the case. Appreciate you verifying that for me. Now it makes sense!
    Yes, was not clear if this was your question. Set active g-code offset g-54-59x on midi line. Then with tool 99 "probe" is active you touch off to find your desired x,y,z location and zero desired g54-59x offset.

btw:

I just repeated the process with probe and ets using same 123 block following instructions on NEW PP probe and ets setup pages. All works fine, setup is straight forward and not as confusing as the manual . Probe functions are a nice addition for locating offsets accurately. Not always needed on some router work because there are a few ways to setup z offset exactly and x,y offsets many times just need to be close. But dedicated fixtures require exact offsets for x,y, and probe system makes this almost fun on the 24r.