584,860 active members*
5,322 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Unloading Fadal 4020 - Question / Help

Unloading Fadal 4020 - Question / Help

I just found out on Friday that my "new to me" Fadal 4020A will be delivered on Monday morning. Luckily I was able to arrange an adequately rated forklift to be available in time. The only item I'm trying to juggle before Monday morning is what size steel tubing do I need to be able to fork it off the truck.

Does someone know the dimensions of the square slots in the casting?

Thanks!

Re: Unloading Fadal 4020 - Question / Help

I can measure in the morning if that's okay. I used 1" x 3" flat bar I had and it worked fine.
    Be sure to put wood or something between the forks and the metal bars so it doesn't slide.

Grab it from the back side if you can because it keeps the weight closer to the lift.
    You can grab it from the front, but don't if you can help it.

helpful link...one of many.
    https://www.fadalcnc.com/tech-docs

Good luck on your adventure.
    DJ

Look up my threads on for questions and answers on moving. Should be of use. I will tell you that those fork sure do bend! Also make sure you have quality moving pads. I had bought some rollers that should have worked , but wouldn't roll good enough, so had to rent a set. Otherwise just get it in the door and blocked up and buy a toe jack.

I just put shaft into my new to me 4020a yesterday didn't measure it but it looked about 1-3/4
    Also add so timber to the slots to stop the machine from rolling on the shifting.

On the forks flexing, that is very true especially if your loading from the front. That Lift I used was tilted ALL the way back and the forks flexed bad, so bad, I strapped the machine to the Lift so it wouldn't slide off by mistake.

Toe Jack, not unless you just want to buy one. The Fadal slots are high enough that with your cross bar in there, a standard hyd. bottle jack fits under it nicely. That's what I did and it was pretty easy.

I measured mine this morning. They are are approx. 2-1/8" x 5-1/8". I say approx. because it's rough casting.
    Hope that helps.

Richard

First thing i do is take off the stupid skirt they put on the front. I never understood that stupid skirt. I'm sure there's some reason but I'll never understand. Second... I put the forks outside the casting and run 2" x 3" x 1/4" steel tubes 6feet long through the slots on the base casting. (I'm spoiled and have a 24,000lb rigging forklift that makes short work of moving machinery) Then pick it up from the front and unload.

Thanks for the responses. I spent hours reading over this forum and others on how to fork it proper. I wanted to get casting size to see if I had some tubing laying that was larger than the recommended size.

Short of it is, the unload was a success and pretty uneventful. Really have all the online resources to thank in making that happen.

1) 6 feet forks are a must. Gives you about 6-8 inch fork overhang when forking from front or back.
    2) 2x3x1/4" Steel tubing is probably the minimum size. 6 Feet is about the longest you can use or you'll start hitting the skirting trying to get it into the casting. I ended up buying 2x4x1/4" and not chance it.
    3) Wood on the forks is good. Metal on metal can cause sliding.
    4) They delivered the wrong forklift (after being late and the truck driver waiting..). Didn't have pneumatic tiers, and I was outside. However, most importantly it was at least 15K lb rated and had the 6 foot forks. Made it work and never felt unsafe.

Next question: The machine is probably going to sit for next 3-4 weeks until I get power and some other things squared away. I know sitting isn't the best for these, so anything that I should make sure I tend to in the mean time?