584,808 active members*
5,126 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Closed loop driver with open loop stepper motor

Closed loop driver with open loop stepper motor

I need new stepper driver so my question is: Because one day i want to change my open loop stepper motors with servo motors(closed loop) i am thinking to buy closed loop drivers and plug in my open loop motors(leave unpluged encoder pins) and when i decide to make the upgrade i will buy only the closed loop motors. Is this possible??????

Re: Closed loop driver with open loop stepper motor

Hello.

To my understanding that would not be possible unless there is a parameter within the drives to override their feedback loop. If you attempt to connect them as you mention the result would be that from the point of view of the controller the motor would be at still and then would overcompensate it driving it to the maximum speed which in many cases could be dangerous specially if the motor is already mounted on a machine.

I´d suggest you take a good look at the manual of your selected drive or better yet talk to your dealer first telling him your intention. I´m sure they´ll be glad to help.

I´d also suggest checking the price difference between the simple motor and the one with encoder.

Consider also that it might be possible to add encoders to your simple motors than replace them. That might prove easier if you buy double shaft motors. You have to make the numbers to find the best option for you.

Best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by trikan View Post
    I need new stepper driver so my question is: Because one day i want to change my open loop stepper motors with servo motors(closed loop) i am thinking to buy closed loop drivers and plug in my open loop motors(leave unpluged encoder pins) and when i decide to make the upgrade i will buy only the closed loop motors. Is this possible??????
    A Stepper motor is not going to run on a AC Servo Drive
    Mactec54

Hi,
    closed loop steppers have some advantages but nothing like the claims made by the manufacturers.

If you want closed loop 'goodness' get genuine AC servos and be done with it. The prices for Delta and DMM, two quality brands that won't break
    the bank, still command a premium but the difference is much closer than it used to be.

Craig