584,826 active members*
5,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Tool Length Offsets using Pre-Set Tooling

Arrow Tool Length Offsets using Pre-Set Tooling

I have two Haas Mini Mill 2's in my shop. We now have a lot of different jobs and I would like to start using pre-set tooling. I would like to place the CAT 40 holder and cutting tool into a tool fixture and use a height indicator to pre-set the tool to a set dimension from a tooling sheet. Can anyone send me the steps on how to do this? We used this method at my old company and it worked great. Also, please tell me how to set my work offsets too. I know the conventional method of tool touch off on blocks.

Thanks again,

Robert

Re: Tool Length Offsets using Pre-Set Tooling

there are tool preseters that you would use that would have a cat 40 taper to hold the tool and indicator to give you the height of the tool
    this number is put directly into the tool offset page then you would touch off in the z axis to the top of the part this number - the tool offset of the tool being used will give you the z axis work offset

It would be easier with a haimer. Then you would zero your cat40 measurer on z zero in the haimer. At that point, you will then set work offsets with the haimer and the set workset offset button. One drawback is that tools less than haimer length will have a negative number. To stay with positive numbers, the only way will be to use a calculator every time you set work offsets, which in my opinion is too risky.

You could also use a tool touch off guage combined with a pre defined work offset calibrated to measure the right length. I did this with a haimer, it takes some careful work using blocks and stuff to get the same zero point.

I know the old school method of touching off all the tools, but it seems like a rigid way to manage offsets.

I have a tool holder tightening fixture I machined to match the CAT40 taper. My holders sit on the taper in the fixture on a surface plate and I use a digital height stand and set the height stand to a -20.00" on top of the fixture and touch off each of my tools this way.

You can ZERO the height stand on the fixture or pick any number you like as a reference point. I picked -20.00" cause my mill has a 20" Z travel and I still get a - Z value.

For me, this makes set ups and replacing tools go faster vs. jogging the Z down and touching it off on something, I get damn near perfect blends from tool to tool as well. I also know where a few reference points are in my machine, table, vise bed, etc. So I rarely have to even pick up a Z height.

In my HAAS if I was to have to set a Z height, I would jog down to the top of the part touch off and use the HAAS Part Zero Set button and then take whatever tool I used to set the Z, I would ADD that tools offset to the home offset.

I'll post some pictures when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by bthomas7408 View Post
    I have a tool holder tightening fixture I machined to match the CAT40 taper. My holders sit on the taper in the fixture on a surface plate and I use a digital height stand and set the height stand to a -20.00" on top of the fixture and touch off each of my tools this way.

You can ZERO the height stand on the fixture or pick any number you like as a reference point. I picked -20.00" cause my mill has a 20" Z travel and I still get a - Z value.

For me, this makes set ups and replacing tools go faster vs. jogging the Z down and touching it off on something, I get damn near perfect blends from tool to tool as well. I also know where a few reference points are in my machine, table, vise bed, etc. So I rarely have to even pick up a Z height.

In my HAAS if I was to have to set a Z height, I would jog down to the top of the part touch off and use the HAAS Part Zero Set button and then take whatever tool I used to set the Z, I would ADD that tools offset to the home offset.

I'll post some pictures when I get home.
    Did you get home yet? I’d love to see pics of your tool holder fixture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys ,

how can i post my question in this forum .