585,727 active members*
4,189 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobWIRE v19 and DXF/DWG

BobWIRE v19 and DXF/DWG

Is there some trick to getting a DXF or DWG to load in BobWIRE? I've tried every single export type availible in my AutoCAD 2007, but every single one fails. Sometimes, just sometimes, one or another random version will import.

Having to take every drawing and export in every version possible until one decides to load is getting very very tedious.

To answer a few questions before they are asked...

AutoCAD is CLOSED before i try to load (though I suppose its rather stupid to think that would help.. BobWIRE is on a different machine than my AutoCAD is). The files are not in use, and not shared on the network. I transport via jumpdrive or cd (tried both methods with equal amounts of success and failure).

I am using BobWIRE v19.3

The BobWIRE machine is isolated, no internet or network connection, and is clean (scanned with norton, avg, kapersky, spybot and adaware all via bootdisk). Memory test reports clean, HDD access, the works. Brand new machine, fresh installations all around, and my cad machine checks out clean as well.

So what gives? Surely the ability to load DXF/DWG isn't governed by chaos.

I don't use V19 wire but I have found in V16/17 wire that you can not have blocks in your drawing or it will not show them. Also, I always save a file as autocadR12 DXF file. I tried to save it as an autocad2000 DXF file and bobwire would not read it.

Those are the only problems I have had with V16/17, I don't know if it is of any help to you though.

Dave

AFTER posting this, and digging REALLY deep in the forum, I found a few tips elsewhere as well, but still having weird issues.

No blocks.
    Fully exploded
    DXF r12/r14 export.

Loaded with bobwire, and strangely, the file worked. Tried a couple more, they load as well..

Then I get to my column profile again.. and no dice. Seems all those curves are angering BobWIRE or something.

The profile is of a standard fluted, tapered column. Perhaps its my lack of experience with Bob, but what took me no more than 2-3 minutes to draw in CAD took me almost 2 hours to recreate in Bob...

Just curious, is this a 2-D or 3-D drawing that your having trouble with? Can you post your dxf file, I will try to open it in V16/17 and see if I have the same problem as you.

Dave

I've not got the file handy here at home, however...

Load AutoCAD.

REC
    MOVE
    select the box, then lower left node
    #0,0
    save as DXF.

Thats the last one i couldn't get to load. In my despair I thought perhaps my 13 line drawing was "too complex". I'll post the column profile (probably a couple versions of it, there were some VERY interesting anomalies with one of the imports that "worked") in the morning when I get back to my office.

Beware of ellipses, they don't always translate.
    Polylines can give trouble as well, but I think exploding and saving back to r12 addresses that.

IIRC, some items may need exploded several time to get down to base elements.

Good luck
    moldmker

I just tried your rectangle, when autocad creates a rectangle it must treat it like a block, if you explode that block and then save it as the dxf file you should have no problem opening the drawing in Bobwire.

Dave

Yeah, I did some more exploding... I see 4 lines... AutoCAD sees a more complex object, and doesn't translate it well it seems... exploding my drawings has reduced my headache level significantly.

Fortunately I won't have to use Bob that often (Sorry to any bob-fans), but sadly that means the routine of using it and working with it in mind won't be beaten into my thick skull as quickly.

I thank you all for your assist, and to recap (as I recieved PM assists from several of you as well, and SURELY others have had this problem)...

Before exporting from AutoCAD.... Explode everything you're going to be working with. EVERYTHING. Double check it, I had underlying "hidden" shapes interfering. right-drag-select all the area you're going to work with, explode it.
    Export the desired drawing as R12/R14 DXF (this is the format on my list... R12 is apparently the most desired).
    CLOSE the drawing in AutoCAD, or better still, close AutoCAD completely.
    NOW your drawing SHOULD load in BobWIRE.

I've tried 8 different profiles so far using this, and it works 7 out of 8 times. Much better than less that 1/4 of the time using 15 different exports... Thanks much guys.

Quote Originally Posted by KrystoferRobin View Post
    Brand new machine, fresh installations all around, and my cad machine checks out clean as well.

So what gives? Surely the ability to load DXF/DWG isn't governed by chaos.
    I use BobWire with the occasional issues, but usually can get it to work fine.

Just a thought, but did the software come with the machine? I'd try that route it they came together as WireEDM's sometimes do.

Good luck.

Ellipse in autocad

Quote Originally Posted by moldmker View Post
    Beware of ellipses, they don't always translate.
    Polylines can give trouble as well, but I think exploding and saving back to r12 addresses that.

IIRC, some items may need exploded several time to get down to base elements.

Good luck
    moldmker

Just a note the ellipses can be brought in but, you must make a simple change in autocad change the "pellipse" system variable to one before the ellipse is drawn in autocad you will then have a polyline ellipse !

Quote Originally Posted by Sowen View Post
    Just a note the ellipses can be brought in but, you must make a simple change in autocad change the "pellipse" system variable to one before the ellipse is drawn in autocad you will then have a polyline ellipse !
    Good to know!
    Thanks
    moldmker

Yeah, the software came with the machine, and the promise of having something better provided to us sometime late feb/early march. Fortunately I won't need to use it much before then.

Re: BobWIRE v19 and DXF/DWG

Hello...I need Bobwire V19.3 and its crack...Can you please send me on my email? Thank you
    [email protected]